lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
03yamg22a
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2003 G22a gas cart starter generator turns but engine wont start

Problem started yesterday, push gas pedal and 3 second delay before it would start then completely died last night. charged battery overnight and it started fine this morning, checked voltage at battery while running 1/2 throttle (15.5 volts) so Vreg should be ok. Ran cart for an hour and it died again, now starter generator turns but engine never fires over. Voltage at battery is 12.4 volts and drops to 11.3 volts when gas pedal is pushed and generator is running.

per maint book:
Checked charging coil resistance (5.7 ohms)
disconnected engine stop relay and confirmed good spark.
checked wiring from relay to ground and ignition unit, all look good

I noticed the gas filter was empty so I checked tank hose and blew threw filter into gas tank and gas then siphoned back into filter.
removed pump hose leading to carburetor and pressed gas pedal, the gas did not come out in a steady stream but more like spurt, spurt, spurt. not sure if this is correct.
Any ideas???
03yamg22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2003 G22a gas cart starter generator turns but engine wont start

The gas should spray like a water hose constant stream... I had a similar issue last month with my g29.. Starter turned fine.. Fuel pump had steady stream of fuel. Plenty of spark. My problem ended up being the 2 jets in the bowl of the carb were clogged completely.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My G9 spurts with every revolution, but maybe 50 times the fuel volume it needs to run. I'd squirt some gas in the carb or plug hole and see what it does, if it starts then its carb clean time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
03yamg22a
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thumbs up Re: 2003 G22a gas cart starter generator turns but engine wont start

After posting my thread I decided to ride out to the campground and give it another shot. Working on it the other night I had it stuck in my mind that it was an electrical problem because of the way the battery was drained.
This time I completely removed the air filter and sprayed some quick start in the carb and it started, so now I know I'm dealing with a fuel problem not electrical. Pulled the bowl off the carb and it was full of crap, cleaned carb with some carb cleaner and sure enough runs just fine now.

Logged on this morning and the 2 replies I got both said clean the carb, thanks guys.

With my experience with small gas engines this is where I should have started
03yamg22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Glad to help.. Ethanol in the gas is bad on these carbs
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha