lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #1
Sarge96
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 XRT 1550 transmission shifts opposite, F is Reverse an R is Forward

Hi all, First time posting so please be gentle.
I just picked up a 2011 XRT 1550 Carry All. For some reason the shift lever operates opposite of the markings on the dash. Ive called numerous dealers and explained the problem and they are just as baffled as me. After looking at all the linkage and its mounting points, everything seems to be as it should. At this point the only thing that me and a mechanic at one of the dealerships, that I've contacted can surmise, is that someone has gotten into that transmission and installed something incorrectly.
However due to the fact that this drive line is fairly simple I can't think of exactly where to start short of ripping the transmission or "transfer case" as I call it, out and opening it up to inspect it. The big problem with that is I can't seem to find a good diagram of where everything should be in there. I'm a very mechanically inclined guy and I easily have all the tools and ability to do it but I just need to know how or if I should check something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sarge96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:48 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2011 XRT 1550 transmission shifts opposite, F is Reverse an R is Forward

What engine is in it? What direction is it turning?
All Club car engines from 97 up to around 2014 should spin clockwise at the clutch end.
If your motor is turning counter clockwise, you go opposite direction of the shift lever.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:11 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2011 XRT 1550 transmission shifts opposite, F is Reverse an R is Forward

As Fairtax mentioned it could well be the engine turning the opposite direction. Whie Club Car had several years of clockwise rotation engines, almost any other engine will run counter clockwise - including Club Car OE engines before and after those dates as well as the common replacement choices (Briggs, Tecumseh, Kohler, etc). Can you tell if it's still the original engine? Other possibility is if the rear end was swapped out for an earlier or later version. I've had a number of Club Car rear ends apart & I can't think of anything internal that could be the cause. They are different designs for either the CW or CCW rotation to go with the engine they were paired with.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:03 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I want to note that most of us don't know much about the 1550's...
I was also thinking that it could be a possible engine swap, BUT... the 1550 is a 4WD side by side,

According to the parts list that I have, (it's too large of a file to share on the forum)
they originally came with a gas Kawasaki FH680D V-twin gas engine, or a Kabota D722 3 cylinder diesel engine,
and I'll take a guess that both of them spin counter-clockwise, so it'd be kind of difficult to screw that up.

The manual shows a single shift cable, (it'd be impossible to reverse it at the shifter),
and then the cable goes to a bell crank on the transmission in the center of the vehicle.
Is it possible the the bell crank is installed incorrectly or upside down? I don't have a clue,
but I doubt that something inside the transmission is/was installed incorrectly.

However, I've been wrong before!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

#5 - Bell Crank
#6 - Shift Shaft

(click/tap pic to enlarge)

1550 bell crank179.jpg
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:13 AM   #6
Sarge96
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for all the responses.
It is the Kawasaki engine and seems to be original but I'm having a hard time finding numbers on it to be sure it is the FH680D. You never know what somebody could have crammed in there as a replacement.

I've already chased down most of what has been mentioned above. From what I can see it seems to be a pretty idiot proof system and I have a hard time imagining that somebody could put the transmission together incorrectly and still be able to run it at all.

Another problem I stumbled onto thru all of this is that when I got it the front drive shaft was not installed. I hooked it up and now I can't back up. it seems like its fighting against itself. I'm gonna put it up on blocks and see what direction all 4 to turn and go from there. I just can't believe that the trans is put together wrong but I suppose anything is possible. Anybody out there have a good diagram of the internals on this transmission?

Last edited by Sarge96; 02-08-2022 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: added information
Old 02-19-2022, 11:15 PM   #7
Sarge96
Not Yet Wild

Well I have solved the mystery.
You guys aren't gonna believe this. Somebody got into the rear differential and put it together backwards. The ring gear is facing the drivers side instead of the passenger side. I have no idea how you screw that up but I do find it amazing that the the case will allow for the carrier and ring gear to be installed either way.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:44 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

So does it actually have a bevel ring gear?
All the other ones just use standard helical cut.
I'm as surprised as you that they would leave room in the case for that, but I guess they had a reason for it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car