lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2022, 05:01 PM   #1
TGzus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car DS No Lift. Will a 18.5 tire fit?

Hi Everyone,

First post here. Looking for some real world experience from wheel/tire experts here. I have been reading a lot on this forum and on product websites. I am not able to find a clear answer on the 215/40-12 fitment to a stock Club Car DS. I have found a set of Kenda Kruzer tires, matching those specs, that I would love to put on a set of 12x8 -10mm wheels I have.

I am not interested in a lift of the cart. The look I am going for is more of a low "cruiser" look. Street driving is all I am doing, and will never be off-road. No rear seat at this time. But if I do, I will use some 3 or 4 leaf dual action leaf springs to tighten the rear end up.

Current suspension looks to be in great condition and I just replaced all bushings front and rear proactively. I can fit 4 fingers between fenders and tires all around (very precise unit of measurement), so I don't think I have a sagging suspension at this time. Although I don't have a second cart to verify against. If suspension aging or failure occurs, I will fix that issue, not compensate my tire fitment because of it. Cart does have the air intake cowl in the driver wheel well which I have minor concern with. If it comes down to the intake or the wheels, I will take a torch to the intake plastic and form it to fit.

Most sites, articles, and YouTube refs indicate a 215/40-12 will fit on a non-lifted cart. Generally speaking. Then there are real world threads and videos of home DS fabricators fixing rubbing using the 215/40-12. Some refs, call out DS specifically fitting an 18.5 tire but conveniently leave out tire width or any mention of offset. I have called every supplier I could find, with most saying they could sell me a 1 or 3 inch lift kit. Almost seems impossible to figure out pre-purchase. Obviously time will have taken its toll on all DS's in existence. And sagging leaf springs, or blown out bushings can have a huge impact on fitment. But those are issues with suspension impacting fitment, not a fitment issue.

My wheel: 12x8 (4x4 -101.6- bolt pattern), -10mm offset (neg .4 inch).
Tire: Kenda Kruzer 215/40-12 DOT (spec noted is 18.5, but could be 18.7).

So I have an 8 inch wide wheel which is equal to stock. A 18.7 diameter which is .7 inches higher than stock. And 3.6 inches of backspace which is -.4 inch from stock. So we are talking about .35 inch radius pushed out .4 inch from stock. To me this should fit, as I doubt the tolerances on a Club Car are that tight. But I don't have real world experience with tire swaps on these carts. Hence the post. Some may quickly note that 18x8.5 is stock so stock is what should be used. Although I am not built that way and know that there are tolerance specs in everything. I am merely attempting to buy myself some sidewall while having a 12 inch wheel. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

I am hoping someone out there builds custom carts on the daily and can provide some clarity in this. Thanks for your time.

Cheers.
TG
TGzus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2022, 06:41 PM   #2
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS No Lift. Will a 18.5 tire fit?

If you search some other posts on here, they say up to a 20" tire will fit with no lift.
Kookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:00 AM   #3
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

On my 94 DS I have a 20" tire and had to raise the front end 1.75 so that it clears just barely but I do have a non stock body so not sure if this applicable. You could grab a pool noddle and cut it to size, wrap around your current wheel and see if fits :)
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
TGzus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply guys! Update, my wheel / tire combo fits great. No rubbing at all. The closest part is the plastic air intake driver side. If turning left 100% and compressing the suspension significantly it “might” rub, i have yet to meet that extreme off road scenario where that might happen, and don't really plan on finding out….
TGzus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:22 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I was going to say early DS you’ll be fine. 97 and newer where the intake tube runs up the front cowl you *might* run into rubbing issues depending on the wheel offset.

I had 20x10x10’s on a newer DS (can’t remember the year now) and they rubbed like crazy. Even with the 1” spacer lift they still would rub a bit on a full left turn all the way to lock, but just a little less of a turn and it was fine. Had to make slightly longer shackles on that one too because it kissed the inside of the rear wheel wells over bumps with a couple people on the back seat. Fine after that though.

My current DS is electric so no intake tube, but it’s got 205/50-10 tires which everything “says” they’re 18 or 18.5” something like that, but if you put one next to a stock tire on a stock wheel it’s noticeable way bigger. I don’t have any rubbing at all on it
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18.5, 2007 ds no lift, 215/40-12, tire size
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car