lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
richpaa
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Tomberlin runs intermittently or stops

Last year my Tomberlin was running normally but then began to intermittently stop running. Took to a shop last year and they seemed to have found the problem. Here is what the invoice stated: "found an additional switch under the rear deck switched in the charge mode making the cart unable to run. flipped switch back in place and cart now runs" They also stated they checked the overall wiring from controller, motor, solenoid, with no issues found. Cart worked great for about 6 months but out on golf course today, hit a bump, and cart stopped dead. Actually pushed it about 2 feet or so and it started up again. Happened another time going home pushed it again, it started and I got it home.

Does anyone know what this mystery switch looks like or where it is located "under the rear deck" I can only see the stop/run switch which is in the run position . I would call the shop I took it to, but they are no longer in business. Any ideas will be appreciated
richpaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2022, 06:13 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 Tomberlin runs intermittently or stops

Sounds like worn motor brushes... would be typical for that age. I've had a 2008 Emerge too, as i remember, there were 2 switches at the controller cover on drivers side, a rabbit /turtle switch and the run / tow switch.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
richpaa
Not Yet Wild

Thx for the reply ojo! I finally located the switch that the shop must have referred to. Took off the back cover for rear deck and there is a green toggle switch (on/off) for the controller. It is in the on position so that doesn't appear to be the intermittent running/stop running problem that I am experiencing. (Unless the toggle switch needs replacing). I will also have a shop take a look at the motor for possible worn brushes. Very frustrating problem when one tries to get in 18 holes!!!
richpaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, it's a funny place for that switch... replacement of the brushes can be done by yourself, but the job isn't quite easy. I did it on a Yamaha cart with the rear body off. Much better to work on the motor.

The Yamaha motor is pretty the same as the Tomberlin Advanced motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210527_180747.jpg (139.2 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin