lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Neal 97 250
Getting Wild

Default Melex 252 lift?

I have a Melex 252. It is somewhere around an '85 or '86. Serial number 188748 if that helps.

Anyway I want to put an economy lift on it. I have a small farm and that is all I will use it for, not for show etc. I just need bigger and knobbier tires which I assume will require a lift. I am thinking of 22X11-8 Swamp Fox or Mud Buster tire.

I have found that nobody makes a lift kit for the Melex, so now I get to do some fabricating.

A couple questions:

1- Do I need to get offset rims or can I use the stock ones I have?

2- Can I just put a block and longer u-bolts to give a 2" lift?

3- Will 2" lift be enough to clear tire rub?
Neal 97 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melex 252 lift?

I had a melex 212 1975-85 vintage. I ended up lifting it myself. It did require cutting and welding. I have found that for simple getting around 20 carlisle trailwolf type tires are all you need in most cases. And there are some tractor tread tires available in stock sizes too. What kind of fab skills and equiptment are we working with here
Melex 212
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0833.jpg (100.1 KB, 90 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Neal 97 250
Getting Wild

I am pretty handy in the shop. In the past I have been decent with welding but my stick welder is in S.C. right now. I may just go get a mig if I need it.
Torch is no problem but I prefer a saw because it cuts cleaner. Air compressor and cutting tools on hand also.

I was looking at it pretty close yesterday and it seems that if I go and try to lower the suspension it will affect alot of the steering angles etc. It looks like if that is the way I go I may have to relocate everything connected to the front end. Is that true?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Post pics of your front end and the steering connections ....... I had to cut the frontend off of this cart and remount it 4 inches lower then extend the steering arm! It was simple enough in the rear..... Post some pics so we can see what you are working with
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Neal 97 250
Getting Wild

I will have to get them tonight and see if I can find the card reader also.

For now:
It has a leaf spring pack that goes across the front end and attaches to both of the steering knuckles, IIRC. To steer it has a bar that comes from the steering box/wheel that connects to the top arm on a vertical pivoting bar with two arms coming off it. It is mounted to the cart. The lower arm has two bars that go to each steering knuckle. All of the joints have tie rod ends on them.

I am sorry if that is somewhat confusing. I will try to get pics tonight or tomorrow.

For the rear end It also looks like I can either put blocks under the spring or extend the spring mounting locations down and remount the spring bushing and shackle lower. If I do that I will also have to lower the shock mount too.

How much did you lift yours?
How much lift do I need to clear these 22" tires?

thanks,
Neal
Old 09-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Neal 97 250
Getting Wild

Here are some pics of what I have to work with:

They are all located here:
http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/r...20Golf%20Cart/

Not sure why they are small.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Neal, I am going to answer your PM here for the benefit of all readers who may also be thinking about lifting their golf cart... There are 2 rules of physics that must be reckoned with 1st. The bigger the tire you put on your cart the more power it will take to turn it. Small size increases can go un-noticed if the system is in good shape. Going several inches bigger will decrease performance. Rule #2 is that bigger tires will get you out there (in the woods, hills, swamp, sand etc) where you will definitely need more power! You can increase the size of the battery and motor cables to allow for more amperage flow. This will help to nove more amperage faster to the motor to meet the increased demands .... Unless you are willing to convert this old melex to a solid state controller system you will not be turning 22-26" tires anywhere but up and down the street with increases in top end speed & decreases in pick up speed ( torque losses) ....

My reccommendation is all new #4g battery & motor cables and 18" tractor lugs or 20" off road tires. THere is nothing as effective as the tractor lugs for simply getting around on the farm in mud season.....and they rob 0 torque from the system.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Neal 97 250
Getting Wild

Thanks Scotty. So as it sits with #4g wire improvements an 18"-22" tire would be the biggest you would recommend.

I will look in that range for some tires. I do not really need monster tires or lift, I just need enough height to clear deep ruts in the field.

Thanks once again,
Neal
Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
Thanks Scotty. So as it sits with #4g wire improvements an 18"-22" tire would be the biggest you would recommend.

I will look in that range for some tires. I do not really need monster tires or lift, I just need enough height to clear deep ruts in the field.

Thanks once again,
Neal
I'm sorry I made a typo in my last post ..... I posted 18-22 inch tires when it should have been 18-20 inch......

THat kinda depends upon how big and often the ruts are? A 4inch lift will give enough romm for 20" tires and some bouncing around.

But you need to look at what you are working with...... there is no way to get your front axles and leaf spring higher off the ground. They just do not make anything for this cart lift wise and all you can really make yourself reasonably is a body lift.... that will be the limiting factor....
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Neal 97 250
Getting Wild

I think a body lift is a waste of time as far as clearance. I was thinking about going to the local spring shop and see if they can make some springs with more arc in them. That will depend on $$$ for sure.

I agree with the stock springs there is no way to get the springs higher...
Unless I completely make new drop spindles. LOL.

Now we are talking some true engineering.

What i am going to try is to drop the springs with a block type system just a tad. That will give the clearance for the tires (Ihope). And see how that affects it. This is just for trial, nothing permanent yet.

Here is an off the wall thought:
Remove the "A" arms. Leave the springs in the stock location. Build a frame to mount under the spring bracket then mount the "A" arms to that under the springs instead of on top. Flip the spindles over and some fabrication to the steering linkage would be required.

What do you think? Possible?
I would love to see someone who has lifted a Melex. I thought these were similiar to the EZ-Go. Did they have the same type of front springs/A arms on the older versions?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts