lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
95Viper
Gone Wild

Default Are ATV drive belts the same as ours?

ATV, snowmobile, etc....do all machines that use CVT clutches all use the same type of drive belts?

I will soon be installing a Cvtech 80 Powerbloc and use the factory Driven Clutch. Fstg21 is going to do some machining on the Driven Clutch so I would like to test different lengths and maybe even widths because the Cvtech handles either 1 3/16 or 1 1/4 wide belts.

My point is that it will get real expensive if I start buying these online and need to return those that do not fit the best. I would like to find some locally so need to know how many options I have in AZ. Snowmobiling is not such a big thing here in Phoenix.
95Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Are ATV drive belts the same as ours?

I think you will find they are better, and more expensive.....A lot of them have the cogs on the back to make them more durable and some are a kevlar blend that really makes them tough. They have to be to stand up to some of the horsepower those engines can develop. Find out what length you are going to need and send me a PM with your EMail address and I'll send you an excel file I made with all the different lengths and sizes sorted out for you. I run a Dayco MAXXII kevlar snowmobile belt on mine. I pick them up pretty cheap on EBay from time to time.....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

For a sled just a basic belt will easily handle up to 50hp or something. They came up with kevlar belts for the 150hp sleds that really needed them, some with spiked mountain tracks/etc. The cogs move a little air in there which could be good, not sure the efficiency improvement amounts to that much. I mean they don't make a sled faster so, lol, but they are cool. Now given 4 strokes have more torque than 2 stroke sled engines, so the engagement on the belt is a little harder and they do run in higher temps. I still say most big blocks even might have a problem in the clutches if they are going through belts, or it is how they ride. They should not be run in the engagement speed very much most sleds lock the clutch in faster to get away from this, but with 9hp golf cart its not an issue.

I also see some UTV/ATV use a centrifugal clutch inside the CVT primary so it idles and shifts easily. This can also handle engagement and be much easier on the belt, though I don't deal with them enough to know how it is setup.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

SHo, i'll agree with you on the parts from your post that I understood. You can get really technical on the compounding of the belts manufacture, they do rate them if you can find it..soft, medium, hard etc.... I think most of the guys here have a larger motor installed and are just looking for one that fits or maybe lasts a little longer, and that's where these belts that are designed for more HP, 2 cycle 4 cycle whatever, have an advantage. I have found that a slightly longer (1") and a 1/16 wider belt really shines after break in. When you find one that works, but several so you can carry a spare.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Nothing wrong with a better belt for more wear, just saying for <25hp you should not be shredding even a cheap belt. Most stock sleds engage the belt at 3-4K rpm, much higher than most carts. If you have problems with the belt you might have bad alignment or something you can fix. Given some people in south can put a lot more miles on them without riding in snow lol. Carts don't go so good in snow once it hits 6" or so.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!