lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Retrofit Points to Electronic Ignition?

Anyone have any thoughts on switching out points on old Harleys / Columbias with the electronic ignitions on the late 80s Columbia carts? Apparently, this can be done all the way back to late 60s HDs.

Reason why I ask is that I was talking with a bonefide cart guy at the camp over the weekend and he mentioned doing this conversion many times with great results. He claimed that you never have to worry about point gap and wear, the condensor largely is taken out of the equation, and that timing is much less finicky and consistent with the "more modern" system.

Believe it or not, the gentleman had an extra one of these electronic ignition modules on-hand (new old stock) and he offered to put it in one of my carts to try it out. We tossed it in my running '85. It took all of about 10 mins to install. Sure enough, the cart performed well right out of the chute.

I am considering doing this with my other carts, a running '80 and different '85 that I am just starting to restore. However, at around $150 a pop these modules aren't cheap.

Anyone have any pros and cons about this conversion? How long do these electronic ignitions last? I am thinking that the only true con is the cost but what the heck do I know.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: Retrofit Points to Electronic Ignition?

I know lots of EZGO guys convert the two strokes to HEI with a GM module. Don't see why it wouldn't be a viable option for the Harley/Columbia carts.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Lochlin, Got any pics of electronic ignition, and maybe a link to where you can pick one up, sounds like a solid investment to a long time problem, point replacement.
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Columbia-Par...item486d181f6e
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

The OEM part number for these is 30509-86.

The part is called "ignition module, Columbia / Harley Davidson 86-95." Pic attached.

A quick Google shows a ton of places have them with prices ranging anywhere from $120 - $250.

Again, I am interested in whether or not anyone has had any experiences with these. Frankly, whether or not it's worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif IM.gif (10.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks chuckbaynham, , that one on flebay sold for $120.00, not sure that would have worked with my application. Looked them up on vintage, cost $229.00 (ouch) . Vintage says, "If you are retrofitting a 1967 to 1985 cart from points to electronic ignition ask them to exchange the IG126 rotor for the IG126B retrofit rotor." Nice to know its out there, but like Lochlin, I"ll wait for experienced feed back.
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I did the HEI conversion. It still uses the points to trigger but you don't need the condenser and the gap really does not matter. Also there is very little power actually being switched so there is no arcing to wear them.

Here is the basic diagram I used:

I have always meant to make em more pretty but have never quite got around to it. I'm thinking its been 3 or 4 years now that I have not even had to think about points. They seem to start much easier and run better. I have not even looked at the spark plugs in 3 or 4 years. I used to have to tinker with points a couple times a season and clean or replace the plugs seasonally. Gas, battery, clean air filter is all I have had to do lately.

73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

The HEI modules can be had for about $15. I would never put a $15 one on a car that I had to drive in traffic but they seem to be working fine on the carts.

On the 82 I used a Ford TFI coil I got at a junkyard. They are supposed to be the best bang for the buck. The 77 still has the OE coil I think, or maybe it was from my boat, I can't remember. I have a TFI for it but its been working so for now its just on the shelf.

You can't really see the module on the 82 but you get the idea from the pic of the 77. The reason they are mounted in different spots is you need to mount it on a flat metal area to act as a heat sync and on the 82 there is a lot of plastic.

If anyone wants to do this I will do my best to remember the details and help where I can.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Man, that's freaking genius. Comforting to hear you have had a good experience with converting. Though your method is far more cost effective for the same end result I may take the easy but more expensive road and go with the module.

In reading some of the other forums at BGW (Club Car and EZ-Go) it seems as though this type of conversion is pretty popular across all manufacturers with most guys reporting good results. The aforementioned module appears to be standard across most cart manufacturers of that era so parts are abundant albeit pricey. If you really shop them you'll find some "decent" deals; $120-$140. If it saves me the headache of messing with the points every couple of months it's worth it to me.

I think I am going to go electronic on both of my '85s. The '80 runs like an absolute beast (knocking on some wood as I type) so I am going to let that one go for now.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

When I was pissed off at points I didn't know the modules fit other carts so I was just looking at harley vendors and they were in the $350 and up which was way more than I wanted to spend.

Some people don't like what I did because it still uses the points and I did wonder how reliable it was going to be but so far its been great. My plan was to go in and clean up my wiring the first time I had to go tinker with the points but so far I have not had to mess with them. I don't run my carts a ton, maybe only 5 gallons per summer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson