lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Default Re: Retrofit Points to Electronic Ignition?

loch, i nknow graig from isconsin or tew45 if i recall would prob be the best to ask. i know elotronix...not sure exactly the spelling has a point eliminator kit out there for the harley, used it on my bug and made a world of diffence, also swapped the vacum advanced dist and dropped a 009 bosch porche distr in it to, but man they was simple and easy. rip out the plate, inatll the plate, and install the magnet on the rotor. hoock up the wire to the coil and look out autobaun!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

i think greg or tew even have a wiring diagram i got on here at on time when i dd a 69 harley. it uses the gm ign mod. im not one for screwing in the side and wires running everywere. i like it kept clean and simple .....
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #13
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Guys, I am going to resurrect this post one last time and we can pretty much put this to bed. A little over a month ago I put another e-module in one of my carts BUT I also added a 1.35 ohm resistor that we discussed here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...conundrum.html

I put the resistor between the module and the coil.

Immediately after this set-up the cart has run better than it has since I restored it a few years ago. I now have about 20 hours of drive time on the cart and, knock on wood, the electric module is performing perfectly. To reiterate, as these modules provide a much longer lasting spark than do points timing is pretty much a non-issue. I haven't timed this cart at all. I just put the module in using a "middle of the road" timing setting and the thing performed flawlessly right out of the gate.

I am pretty much sold on this conversion assuming this cart keeps running the way it has been (knocking on wood again). I am starting yet another restore of an '85 (3 wheel this time) and I intend to go with an electric ignition on that cart too. Like ckiguy said, this difference in performance in my case was pretty startling.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Oh: ckiguy, Craig, Tew45, can anyone recall what exactly the "point eliminator" kit that ckiguy refers to is? [/B]It would be nice to have options with these.

Eldo, I am still considering your method too.

Here is a recent pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141025_133039.jpg (293.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I think what those guys are talking about is the electronic ignition module that was used on the later Columbia's and apparently other carts, maybe EzGo? Difference between the factory kit and a conversion kit is the way the magnet thing fits on the cam. Engines that were factory electronic apparently had had a different cam, or more like a post that held the magnet. Ones made for retrofit have a special magnet made to fit the old points cam. I'm not sure where you go to get them or look them up to get good deals, when I have looked they have been in the $350 plus range which was way more than I was ready to spend.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #16
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I found a supplier in Wisconsin that sells these for $120 plus $6.95 for shipping. They are actually a tractor supply shop. I'll PM you their name. They really dont have a website so you have to call them. Great customer service. I am lucky in that the cam in my cart accepts the magnet that comes stock with the module so I dont need any special adapters.

I recall vintagegolfparts selling the other cam adapters but I dont know what they were asking for them.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I used the Chrysler electronic system and it also worked satisfactory. I removed the system since I only had to mess with the points every 3 years or so and I did not pot the circuit board for the electronics and my board needed potting due to the environment I use my cart in. (I was just lazy there). I will post some photos as soon as I can find them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC1802.jpg (119.6 KB, 0 views)
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The last post was a photo of the stop I use to balance the point plate for point opening the same distance forward and reverse. I haven't found the other photos yet still but looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box.jpg (13.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0704.jpg (230.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image-5.jpg (80.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1020804.JPG (85.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1020820.JPG (84.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #19
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Gonna resurrect this post as I just came across some new information that may be helpful to future searchers:

When I orginally converted from points to an e-module my module burnt up after 2-3 hours. $120 right out the old wazzoo. I since learned that the coil I had in the cart at the time did NOT have an internal resistor and that almost certaily ruined my electronic ignition module.

I got a coil with an internal resistor and added a secondary external resistor to supplement the one in the coil. The cart has been running great since. Lesson learned if you are considering this conversion: make sure you at least have a coil with a resistor in it. Don't trust the guys at Napa to know what they are doing.

It's pricey but this is a great conversion if you aren't good at timing carts.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #20
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The internal resistor coil is used with the point system as well as the module!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson