lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2017, 04:39 AM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Inner Rear Tire Rubbing with 22x10x10s

Hey Guys-

I have a 1987 Club Car with a 6" Allsports double A-arm lift. For years I've run 22.5x10x8 tires on it, but I recently changed over to 22x11x10 tires (which are wider and flatter). The tires were run on a newer model EZGO according to the guy I bought them from. No problems clearing the front, but I have a bit of light rubbing in the inside rear, on the inner fender (that black plastic piece behind each rear tire). It's not rubbing much, only when I make left turns. I don't really want to buy spacers just for this. Has anyone ever run into this and what did you do? Should I just trim the inner fender to clear?

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2017, 05:33 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Inner Rear Tire Rubbing with 22x10x10s

First of all i would see why rubbing is only evident while turning left, maybe worn suspension bushes or loose fittings somewhere allowing the suspension to sway. If all is good and tight the answer would be to fit some narrow wheel spacers on the rear of the cart.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:43 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Well I fully rebuilt the suspension in 2013 when I lifted it, so I don't think that's the issue, and I'm not an overweight guy (I weigh around 180lbs) so I don't think I'm putting undue strain on the cart...lol. To me the obvious reason it was only rubbing during the left turn was because the rubbing occurs on the driver's side (where my weight is concentrated). I haven't had another adult ride the cart with me yet to see if the passenger side will rub the same way.

I think I found my own easy answer right under my nose (and it matches your answer as well). Here at my work we sell cheap, 1/4" thick wheels spacers for my cart's bolt pattern (4x4"). I'm going to grab a pair after work and slap them on. When I thought of spacers at first I immediately thought of the $50+ spacers I see all over for golf carts, but for what I need I can get by spending around $15.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

1/4 inch should do it, if not put two on if they are free or cheap.

An easy way to find out what thickness you need is to space the wheel off with washers till the rubbing stops, then measure the total thickness of the washers.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those spacers are great.
I have to use them on the front of my DS with 20x10x8 to clear the steering arm.
They should fix you up but if you have to add two then I would be concerned about the lug nut grasp in the nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170527_100150.jpg (264.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170527_100136.jpg (196.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170527_100554.jpg (155.9 KB, 0 views)
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I meant to edit my post to say you may need extended lug bolts if using more than one spacer but got called out on a breakdown. Sorry.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Thanks Guys! The rubbing is light and I really think 1/4" spacers will handle it. I'll post here later with an update.

Here's the cart photographed earlier this week with the new shoes:
Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
LocoGary
Not Yet Wild

In the reviews of all tires.
“The tire size depends on air pressure “

Tires may be over inflated to get proper size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LocoGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not that it helps with the solution, but you have probably got a lot of lateral tire roll when turning at speed with those wide tires on what looks like 7' rims. For stability, an 11" tire should be on a 9" wide rim. Also helps lay the tread flatter.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I'm not sure how wide the wheels are. But I do like the fat tire look and bulging sidewalls. They feel pretty stable, and the tread lays flatter than my other tires that I had on it previously. One downside I've noticed is that the cart seems slightly harder to steer with these tires, likely due to the larger and flatter contact patch, whereas my old tires had a narrower contact patch ( 22.5x10x8 ). I'm going to take this cart out to the campground tomorrow and put it through the paces.

Tags
22x11x10, club car, inner fender, rubbing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts