lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
McClintock
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default A new G1 project

I bought a g1 from a lady that only used it at her lake house, and it was stored in her garage for the past year. All I had to do was buy a battery, air the tires, and change the air filter and it ran like new.

After running out the smoke from the oil in the muffler I decided to take the governor out a few millimeters. I noticed that when I get it to around 16-18 mph It has a loud noise, not a bad grinding noise but more of a dragging noise. It is only at top speed throttle or no throttle. When I coast downhill with my foot off the gas it does the same thing. It is absolutely the only thing that bothers me about this ride. I am only $400 in to it right now. Sounds like a gear box or clutch?

I will post some pictures the cart later.
McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: A new G1 project

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal. I don't know what it is but I'd check to see if the rear clutch is down shifting properly.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClintock View Post
I bought a g1 from a lady that only used it at her lake house, and it was stored in her garage for the past year. All I had to do was buy a battery, air the tires, and change the air filter and it ran like new.

After running out the smoke from the oil in the muffler I decided to take the governor out a few millimeters. I noticed that when I get it to around 16-18 mph It has a loud noise, not a bad grinding noise but more of a dragging noise. It is only at top speed throttle or no throttle. When I coast downhill with my foot off the gas it does the same thing. It is absolutely the only thing that bothers me about this ride. I am only $400 in to it right now. Sounds like a gear box or clutch?

I will post some pictures the cart later.
If you could make a video/audio of it, that would help out alot. There's just not enough info to venture a guess. Have you tried turning the drive belt around as a test?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They do make a normal noise at high speeds, it is the cogs in the belt I believe on the bottom of the secondary. It only does it when fully shifted out, at full shift the rpm will start to rise. Sort of a buzzing/whirring sound. At golf course speeds it never happens unless you coast down a hill when it is not running you hear it. But it should not be that loud, you might try a new drive belt the cvt usually works poorly with a worn one. Yamaha lists 1" wide as the wear limit, and by then they don't work very well. They are 1 3/16 wide new. If the noise is metallic that could be bad and likely a clutch issue. Rare but could be a transmission issue also.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
McClintock
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I will make an audio/video of it first thing tomorrow after the rain clears out. Even if it is a clutch I just think it may need some grease or something. It runs really great and seems to have great torque for an 83 model.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
McClintock
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have not done any cosmetic repair yet, but all it needs is a good sanding and spray job. I am going to start on the rims and sand them down and paint with a flat black. I did buy some cheap chrome hubcaps for the time being.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It does look pretty nice. Nobody services the cvt on them, even to just clean and lube things. I tell everyone to do that first thing. Worn clutches can make strange noises too, but usually metallic knocking and rattling. Both clutches have a bushing in the center they slide the moving side on, it needs grease some have fitting and some don't that old. Usually you can grab it and try to tilt it and see how much play is in there. They have some but not that much. If it moves enough to clank then it likely is worn, often grease will quiet it for a while. Weights in the primary can make noises too or break/etc. but then it typically does not shift or shift correctly.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
McClintock
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
It does look pretty nice. Nobody services the cvt on them, even to just clean and lube things. I tell everyone to do that first thing. Worn clutches can make strange noises too, but usually metallic knocking and rattling. Both clutches have a bushing in the center they slide the moving side on, it needs grease some have fitting and some don't that old. Usually you can grab it and try to tilt it and see how much play is in there. They have some but not that much. If it moves enough to clank then it likely is worn, often grease will quiet it for a while. Weights in the primary can make noises too or break/etc. but then it typically does not shift or shift correctly.
I was looking in the beginners guide and pulling the Clutch and greasing and then replacing the seal is what I think it needs. I am going to post the video to YouTube tomorrow, and you guys that know more about this will probably know exactly what the issue is. I mean the thing shifts fine, and throws me back in the seat when I floor it out of my driveway.

The compression seems fine because I barely have to choke it at all, just when I first start it for the day. I feel pretty good about it, but since I am using it for golf I need it to be a little quieter so people will quit looking at me weird. Lol
Old 04-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

wow for the money I didn't expect it to look 1/2 that nice. You could sell that and at least around here tripple your money.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
McClintock
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have already had an offer for triple the price, because the engine runs so well. The guy that helped me tune it up was amazed, I don't think he has seen one in this good of condition. The things you find in old women's garages.

It was an as is deal so if it didn't start that was part of the as is. Sometimes risk pays off. There is a big G1 guy south of here who buys and sells. It is truly amazing how big the market is for a 30 year old golf cart. I had no idea.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha