lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Plum Quick Quit-Series Motor Recommendations

As the title says, my plum quick motor died on me so I'm in the market for a new motor. I have a 2005 48v Ezgo Series TXT, 5" lift, 23" tires, and 650 amp alltrax controller. 99% of the time I am riding on flat pavement with an occasional ride down a flat dirt road. Can anyone give me some recommendations for a replacement motor that can handle 4 adults, the 23" tires, and still get 25mph out of it? I am looking at the D&D 170-002-0001 that is rated at 8.3hp 3700rpms on 36 volts, so I figure it will turn around 4921 rpms on 48 volts.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Plum Quick Quit-Series Motor Recommendations

Your 23" tires increase your speed by 28% and reduce your torque by 22%.
Running at 48V rather than 36V increases both speed and torque by 33%
So the 170-002-0001 motor at 48V on 23" tires will give your cart about 21% greater than stock torque with a top speed about 27MPH mathematically, but you probably wont reach that speed with driver only on-board.

Best bet would be to call D&D and ask them. They have many more motor designs than those listed on their website and most likely have an optimal match for the way your cart is setup and your stated goals.

BTW, the tire height numbers stamped on the tire sidewall is a group size rather than actual and the true height may vary by an inch or more in either direction, so physically measure your tire height if you want to know the actual height.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

was your plum quick motor a bandit upgrade or a completely new series motor like the rattlesnake II ?
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The motor you listed is not recommended for this cart, tire, & load combination. You will need to go with a custom built ES51 type motor and reduce your top speed goal to avoid another burnt up motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
was your plum quick motor a bandit upgrade or a completely new series motor like the rattlesnake II ?
It was a gunslinger II motor that I bought second hand a few years back, I am thinking it was my fault that it bit the dust, because the last time I used the cart was on Halloween to pull a 5x10 trailer with a load of people around going 5 mph for a few miles. The next morning it ran fine though when I pulled it up on the trailer then unloaded it at home, but the damage may have already been done. So by no means am I doubting the quality of plum quick motors, I shouldn't have put that kind of load on it. ScottyB I will contact d&d and get their advice on a custom motor, thanks for the reply.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As JohnnieB pointed out to me a few weeks ago, the EMP two speed motor build is only for series carts. I never had to look past the motor type as I have a series. Any way, their two speed may be just what you need for the use you have described. The unit is switchable either with a control lever or by changing the drive cable locations.
With your 48 volt high amp setup, you should be able to get real close to 25mph in the speed mode while switching to torque mode my be exactly what you need for towing. The extra added point for me, was their pricing. I found them to be a lot better than any of the rest.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
As JohnnieB pointed out to me a few weeks ago, the EMP two speed motor build is only for series carts. I never had to look past the motor type as I have a series. Any way, their two speed may be just what you need for the use you have described. The unit is switchable either with a control lever or by changing the drive cable locations.
With your 48 volt high amp setup, you should be able to get real close to 25mph in the speed mode while switching to torque mode my be exactly what you need for towing. The extra added point for me, was their pricing. I found them to be a lot better than any of the rest.
Chloe, this sounds like a good option. I wrote them an email but while I'm waiting do you know if the switch includes the cables needed? Also are the new cables for the switch routed to the f-n-r, controller, or all the way back to the motor?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here are a couple of pics of the motor I burned up and a close up of the armature. Judging by the color underneath, it looks like this motor was once a D&D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor 5.jpg (132.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg motor 4.jpg (81.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg motor 6.jpg (118.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The, "new switch" is actually the F&R lever off an older model Club Car. You wind up with two F&R levers. The primary is wired as usual. The second one is wired to the motor. The motor will have 6, (not 4), studs. Everything, including instructions for wiring comes with the new lever.
I located the CC lever under the seat rather than outside. Since mine is only a two seater, I really have no need to switch from torque to speed while moving.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like a good option, I also pull this passenger trailer around sometimes and could use the extra torque. Now for a question for JohnnieB, you might remember the trailer when I built it and we discussed adding a battery pack to the trailer for added range. Am I correct that I would not need to use them same AH capacity batteries in the trailer if they are wired in parallell with the cart batteries and I charge the packs seperately?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (176.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO