lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #11
rib33024

Default Re: Quick disconnect for the battery pack

Your right TerryH. I had the wrong cart. I was thinking about Chevy's 72 volt cart that he put the kill switch in

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...tml#post617356

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2015, 10:56 PM   #12
Benb21601
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
That switch is controlling the contactors. The switch is only carrying 12 volts. That setup would work fine to do what the OP wants to do if one wanted to invest in the contactor and the switch.

Something like the Anderson SB350 we use for emergency disconnect would also do the trick. We are breaking 222 volts and 2000 amps BTW :)

Yeah. That should do it!
Benb21601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benb21601 View Post
My buggy will be spend the majority of its life in the toy hauler waiting for the next camping trip. I am concerned abut parasitic drain or how to prevent it. Dealer said its ok to leave it plugged in all the time which I'm not so comfortable with, or pull off a battery cable, which is a pita. My thought is to fully charge it and then have a battery disconnect to keep the pack from being drained while its sitting. Any advice on a quality disconnect that can handle a 48v cart?
Lead-acid batteries self-discharge, so that problem will exist no matter what disconnecting scheme is used.

If a lead-acid battery is to be stored for any length of time, the best option is to float charge it.

A good float charge system compensates of parasitic loads as well a the battery's intrinsic self-discharge rate, so disconnecting them from the system is not required, but optional.

Also, the voltage of a properly designed float charger is below the gassing voltage, so very little hydrogen gas is produced and very little water is used.

The second best option is the give the batteries a boost charge every 30 days or so, which does cause gassing and uses water.

The least desirable and most expensive option is to just let the batteries sit and replace them every spring.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #14
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Lead-acid batteries self-discharge, so that problem will exist no matter what disconnecting scheme is used.

If a lead-acid battery is to be stored for any length of time, the best option is to float charge it.

A good float charge system compensates of parasitic loads as well a the battery's intrinsic self-discharge rate, so disconnecting them from the system is not required, but optional.

Also, the voltage of a properly designed float charger is below the gassing voltage, so very little hydrogen gas is produced and very little water is used.

The second best option is the give the batteries a boost charge every 30 days or so, which does cause gassing and uses water.

The least desirable and most expensive option is to just let the batteries sit and replace them every spring.
We kinda like that option...... we sell batteries !!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I dont, because then i get "how could my batteries be bad after only 2 years, YOU sold me Garbage batteries, i dont care what you say, i did nothing wrong!".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #16
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Old 03-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #17
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Actually have had similar stuff..

Commercial customer.
Brings cart in, Wont run far, smells funny charging.
Check batts, No battery has visible water.

"those batts only 1 year old-- how can they be bad-- You guys trying to rip us off...."

Ps. notice the laughing smiley guys?
Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #18
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Here's a good one

Down at the local battery shop Saturday and was talking to my buddy, who's family owns the shop. He told me that the local Ferris mower dealer had both Interstate and Deka (the ones my buddy carries) batteries sitting in tractors all winter. He said (the mower dealer) that he could go out and start any tractor with an Interstate after it was sitting for many months and it would start right up. But none of the tractors with the Deka batteries would start. He was going to sue the shop for carrying and selling garbage batteries

Can't make that stuff up
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #19
Benb21601
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for the info. Is my Powerwise Qe sufficient or do I need something different to leave plugged in? If so--any specifics are appreciated.
Benb21601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

EZ-GO says it is good to go for long term storage.
Our customers have no problems with carts stored over winter here.

Several folks on this website recommend other chargers.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO