lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
halltree
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 volt cart reading around 31 volts

I have a 36 volt 1985 e-z-go. It worked fine when I parked it last fall, but this spring, after I charged the batteries, it had no power at all. I checked each battery and they all checked a little over 6 volts and the total voltage reading was around 31 volts. I was reading on this site today and found that each battery should read around 7.2 volts. Can someone tell me what the problem is?
Ron
halltree is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Default Re: 36 volt cart reading around 31 volts

you will need new batteries, 100% 36v system should read 38.2 12hours after charge
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You should go here to read about batteries. You murdered yours.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Most stock chargers will not maintain the batteries, and need to be unplugged then replugged to charge, at least monthly. Also check water levels and only use distilled water.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yurtle's link will tell you everything you need to know, but where you went wrong was not charging over the winter. Lead acid batteries discharge over time on there own and need charging every 2-3 weeks or so even if you do not use them.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
halltree
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses. The seasonal park that I live in the Summer shuts down for the Winter and the golf cars are not used during the winter here in Minnesota. Therefor they are not charged during that time. I still would like to know why all the batteries went bad over this past Winter when they did not in all of the previous Winters? Each past spring I would charge then up with no problem. The batteries are about 5 years old.
Ron
halltree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
1sikcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

same happened to mine this year. same situation as yours summer camp winter storage. mine are showing signs of swelling and not holding a charge very long. it is rough trying to maintain them over the winter with our climates but you have to pug them in a few times over winter
1sikcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltree View Post
The batteries are about 5 years old.
Ron
I would say a 5 year lifespan is not bad considering the conditions.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
MarkMN
Not Yet Wild

I have the same problem. A seasonal park that is closed for the winter near Hinckley, MN. Due to illness I wasn't able to make it out there once a month In the winter like I had been doing to put the charger on. The batteries were to low this spring for the charger to work so I had to charge them up individually to where the charger would work. The batteries are 3 years old and they seem to have survived and are holding a charge well enough. I think I'll take them out of cart and store them in my basement next winter.

Mark
MarkMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltree View Post
Thanks for the responses. The seasonal park that I live in the Summer shuts down for the Winter and the golf cars are not used during the winter here in Minnesota. Therefor they are not charged during that time. I still would like to know why all the batteries went bad over this past Winter when they did not in all of the previous Winters? Each past spring I would charge then up with no problem. The batteries are about 5 years old.
Ron
They finally went bad due to the repeated and extream improper storage of them; but considering that you got 5 years out of them is better than expected... If where your cart is stored there is absolutely no 120VAC power available to keep them plugged into some sort of a maintenance charger then you should either remove them to a more suitable location or expect to replace them on a frequent schedule.

One thing to note is that Mn winter are very long and very cold to which as a battery loses its charge it is also more inclined to freeze the water inside which can split the cases too....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO