lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
ejkessler
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default More Power for 36v 1985 Club Car

Hello,
I'm new to Golf Carts as well as this being my first post to this forum.
I purchase the 1985 Club Car DS which is 36volts. The batteries (Trojan) and motor (Advanced Mortors & Drive P/N: 31036; BT-6-4002) were replaced 2years ago. So far I've replace 2 micro switches and 2 solenoids. I also found some wires had melting so I replaced all the primary power wires with #4ga wires and also replaced a few smaller gauge wires that looked bad.

After studying the motor specs I learned that it works for both 36v and 48v... so you guessed it ... I want a little more power to use that 48 volt feature; especially for going up hills.

I suspect the solenoids would not really handle that kind of power change, but is there any way to wire in a dash switch that I would energize the extra 12v battery (and maybe a relay) so that the 12v would only work when all solenoids and micro switches have been fully engaged?

I know this is a home made "improvement" and I hope it is not a Kobayashi Maru scenario :)

Thanks.
ejkessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
ejkessler
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: More Power for 36v 1985 Club Car

I should have been more clear on the battery configuration. I wanted to add just a one 12 volt battery to the existing 6 - 6volt batteries.

It could only be activated, by a dash switch when in Forward and also only AFTER the peddle is pressed fully and ALL the micro-switches have been activated which in turn have activated ALL 5 of the existing solenoids.

The dash switch might activate another solenoid to allow the current path to go through the 12v battery and into the motor. Perhaps that dash switch would only be functional when a relay sense that all micro-switch (thus all 5 solenoids) have been activated, kind of a safety lockout. I'm no electrical engineer but these are my thoughts based upon trying to understand how the 36v 1985 Club Car power system work.

Now after reading the motor specs, it seem that my motor would result in a temporary improvement from 3.5hp to 5.5hp (in this 36v to 48v change) when the dash switch is pressed, resulting in a temporary improvement at my steep hills and also a 2-3mph increase on flat ground if I kept pressing the dash switch.

Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I'm sure it could be done, but with that effort, I would consider upgrading to a solid state drive system. You would get rid of all the toaster oven parts and have a much more efficient system. Scottyb at Carts Unlimited can set you up right. You would probably have a peppy little cart at the end of the day with your 36v motor.

Also, to BGW
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
ejkessler
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Jakesnake27,
Thanks for the idea.
I'm trying to keep it simple.
I was thinking I would use a double pole double throw solenoid and a switch to activate "booster " mode.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car