lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Upgrade Advice

Now, that I feel fairly confident that my cart is good to go (long thread about this earlier), I need advice on upgrades.
This will be almost exclusively a hunting cart, but I'm not currently interested in a lift (good roads, relatively flat), but I may be later down the road. I'd like to keep the 18.5x8 tires and stock height, for now, but will listen to any advice.

2002 DS series 48v, 3.10 hp motor, all bone stock. No radio or any accessories, but will add headlights.
New 150 amp Crown batteries and new 6 gauge battery cables only.

Great torque, but top speed is 12-13 mph.
Would like to get 20ish mph without losing torque, or much of it.
What's the best way to achieve this without upgrading several components and spending a fortune?
After reading many threads on here, all the different models (sepex, regen, series, etc.) kinda confuse me. I don't want to just throw a motor, bigger cables, and/or a controller in there blindly and hope it works.
Ribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Upgrade Advice

check out scottyb's web page about controller uses
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/speed-...ion-info-.html

your ez fix is a 500amp controller and it will handle other mods as you make them ... and you will
Old 08-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
larrybi
Not Yet Wild

RIBBER, I just got my hunting cart up and running, where you at in Georgia. I made a lot of changes, motor, controller, FnR switch, HD solenoid and 2 gauge cables. I put 3" square led lights on the front with snap on red or green lens covers a winch, a brush bar. I use it to hog hunt at night, didn't need a lot of speed just torque.. There's a lot of great advise to be had from the folks on this site, all you got to do is ask, I know they really help me save a bunch of money, while giving me great advise. If I can help just holler....I'm in Brooks, Ga.
larrybi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybi View Post
RIBBER, I just got my hunting cart up and running, where you at in Georgia. I made a lot of changes, motor, controller, FnR switch, HD solenoid and 2 gauge cables. I put 3" square led lights on the front with snap on red or green lens covers a winch, a brush bar. I use it to hog hunt at night, didn't need a lot of speed just torque.. There's a lot of great advise to be had from the folks on this site, all you got to do is ask, I know they really help me save a bunch of money, while giving me great advise. If I can help just holler....I'm in Brooks, Ga.
I'm near Dublin. Wow, you've changed about every thing on it. I'll probably do the same, but not all at once!
I'm not sure where to start. I've read where people get different results. Like, I see where some have the regen motor, or a sepex cart and from my understanding different kinds of carts 'need' certain controllers, motors, etc. to get what they want. Maybe, I'm wrong about this?
Where did get your headlights? I don't have the cutouts in the front cowl.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

And, does the larger 2 gauge negative fit through the OBC hole. Looks to me like it won't fit.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribber View Post
And, does the larger 2 gauge negative fit through the OBC hole. Looks to me like it won't fit.
no it won't fit ... you will need an OBC stud kit for anything over 6g cables
Old 08-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
jlutsey
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Rubber,
I just finished upgrading several components on my cart due to 24" tires, and lots of mud and swamp hunting. I do have all the components that came off my cart that would probably work well for you and your setup with out breaking the bank. I have the following and if you think it will work for you, just make me an offer for the package.

Alltrax AXE 400 amp controller 5k-0 ohms
HD f&r switch
250 amp selenoid
200 amp fuse
MCOR 4 plus conversion kit.

Not sure if the MCOR is any good but I know everything else works. It all pushed my cart very well with the stock motor and 22" tires. Actually did OK with the 24s. Let me know if you are interested. I can send pics.
jlutsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
larrybi
Not Yet Wild

These are not headlight, just 6 led's in each cube and I found them on the net, I mounted them on the brush bar and use an extra battery in the bagwell just to run lights and my thermal set-up. I don't use headlights at all, unless I'm on my way back the truck. Like test crash said the 2 cables will not go thru the OBC, but you can make the part you need to run the cable thru it, there's a diagram I believe on Scottyb's site that shows you how to do it, it is very simple to do. If I can locate the website for the lights I'll post it for you.....but I have noticed that Tractor Supply is selling led lights now for about the same price.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
no it won't fit ... you will need an OBC stud kit for anything over 6g cables
Are these generic stud kits, or are there specific ones for specific carts?
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #10
larrybi
Not Yet Wild

ribber,
Neverland light on the e-bay, look for3"cover led work light driving red protection 3.99 for 2
the lights came from motor auto light on e-bay 3" 18 watt cree 3x3 led work lights 28.00 a pair.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car