lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #11
BobHyatt
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Downsizing my Power Cables on a DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I am being factual. If you replace half of your cables with much larger conductors, you get half of the benefit of replacing all of them. It is misleading to say that one piece of smaller cable negates the benefit of upgrading to larger cables. Of course it is better to upgrade all of them.
This fails physics 101.

Suppose you have three sections of cable. The first is huge and actually has 0.000 ohms resistance (not possible, but hang in there for a minute). Second and third are exactly the same. That cable, at 48 volts, will carry as much current as the batteries can dump.

Now replace just 1" of that cable with a 1 ohm resistor. Now the MAX current you can flow through that cable is 48 amps (amps = volts / resistance).

It is the TOTAL resistance that limits current, not any sort of "average resistance" (which is meaningless in electrical circuits like this.) This is a common automobile problem. Good cables from battery to starter, and starter to ground, but ONE corroded connection will ruin that circuit and prevent starting. Even though 99%+ of the cable is ultra-low resistance.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #12
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unhappy Re: Downsizing my Power Cables on a DS

Houston, we have a problem. I decided to pull the battery pack out of the cart to clean up the support rack and I found some cancer on the rack so a couple pieces of alum angle, a few gallons of baking soda solution, wire brushing and washing and I put the pack back in after about 2 weeks. Got the cables all connected up, flip the switch to Run, turn the key, set rocker switch for forward, push the pedal, hear the solenoid and the cart moves about an inch and the battery light comes on. So, I put it on charger, the charger is happy and turns itself off sometime during the night. Pull the charger cord and nothing....nada. I'm stumped on what could have happened during non use, the cart did run before I started this and BTW I did reset the OBC.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wow, I missed the post above yours (#11), but just a reminder for folks reading this thread, it would take 2,500ft of 6ga to measure 1Ω resistance, so that post is not realistic for the discussion of cable gauges impact on overall current.

Volt_Ampere comment quoted is "physics 101" accurate.

Now, what is the pack voltage and does the reverse buzzer work when you put the FNR in reverse?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Wow, I missed the post above yours (#11), but just a reminder for folks reading this thread, it would take 2,500ft of 6ga to measure 1Ω resistance, so that post is not realistic for the discussion of cable gauges impact on overall current.

Volt_Ampere comment quoted is "physics 101" accurate.

Now, what is the pack voltage and does the reverse buzzer work when you put the FNR in reverse?
Pack voltage 51.2 volts after 20 minutes of cool down. I have the reverse buzzer disconnected but can reconnect if needed.

Last edited by Hunter450; 09-21-2016 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 09-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #15
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

1 hour after charger auto shut-off the pack voltage is 51.4 sitting idle.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Pack voltage is good, the reverse buzzer working is the easiest way to check if the OBC is in controller lockout mode.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #17
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Pack voltage is good, the reverse buzzer working is the easiest way to check if the OBC is in controller lockout mode.
connected the buzzer up and it buzzed. Disconnected it again
Old 09-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does the solenoid get pack voltage on the small terminals when You press the pedal?

If not, check the continuity in the micro-switch inside the Multi-Step potentiometer (Blue to Green/White wires at the Multi-Step connector).
Old 09-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #19
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Does the solenoid get pack voltage on the small terminals when You press the pedal?

If not, check the continuity in the micro-switch inside the Multi-Step potentiometer (Blue to Green/White wires at the Multi-Step connector).

Pack voltage was 51.2v on LCD cart meter..... with key switch off:
Solenoid small terminal voltage was 48.4 volts (pedal up) on digital multimeter
Solenoid small terminal voltage was 48.4 volts (pedal down) on digital multimeter.

No continuity between blue wire and green/white wire on multi-step potentiometer. Nothing on.... nothing pressed.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The voltage on the solenoid small posts should be taken with the Multi-Meter probes connected to each of the small posts.

The problem appears to be the micro-switch inside the Multi-Step.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car