lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
HUNTER48_00
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 PowerDrive charger cycles on and off

I need some help with my PowerDrive charger on a 1999 DS club car. The charger cycles on and off. I noticed this the day while charging my batteries. I jumped the black and grey wires on the cart's plug to the negative post on the batteries to bypass the OBC and the charger still cycles on and off. The charger's relay picks up when I connected the grey wire to the negative post. The charger relay stays picked up while the charger is cycling on and off. The amp meter is reading about 15 amps while this is happening. Any ideas?
HUNTER48_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1999 PowerDrive charger cycles on and off

How are You determining the charger is cycling ON/OFF if the meter stays at 15amps?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
HUNTER48_00
Not Yet Wild

The first time I plug the charger in it will charger for about one minute then the charger turns off but turns back on without in a few seconds. Then it starts cycling off and on. The ammeter shows the 15 amp whenever the charger is charging.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since You already ran the 10ga black wire from the back of the charger receptacle to pack negative, the OBC can no longer control the current.

Assuming it is not an AC problem and the input power remains at 120vAC at the receptacle, the next thing I would try is to by-pass the charger relay contacts in case of a weak relay coil is causing the contacts to cycle.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
HUNTER48_00
Not Yet Wild

I jumped the charger relay contact together tonight and the charger started charging without cycling on and off. I did not have time to leave it on too long maybe 10 minutes. I try will check it this weekend but in the mean time I will order a new charger relay. thanks Sergio for the help. I will you know the outcome.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Sounds like you need a relay. Part number 103414901
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car