lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: What to expect going with Monroe rear shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
I can see why you said that they didn't make any difference. You left off the bushings.
Yeah they shorted me a set , then had to go fight with them to open up a box and give me a set , they did.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #22
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
Factory springs are just a single leaf spring. (or at least they were on mine)
I checked out a stork cart and you are correct. Will the two leaf springs handle the load of the rear seat and two people with no problem?
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #23
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyre View Post
I checked out a stork cart and you are correct. Will the two leaf springs handle the load of the rear seat and two people with no problem?
Dannyre, I recommend that you look at factory single leaf springs used on the Villager 4 with rear seat.

103742306 Asm, Rear Leaf Spring, Prec, 4-Passenger.

They will solve your ride quality problem with no excessive sag, or rubbing problems, loaded down.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #24
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Will the two leaf springs handle the load of the rear seat and two people with no problem?
I have no experience in that area so I can't say. But I more thing that hasn't been brought up. The next time you change tires get radial tires. The side walls give more so you get a smoother ride.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #25
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
Dannyre, I recommend that you look at factory single leaf springs used on the Villager 4 with rear seat.

103742306 Asm, Rear Leaf Spring, Prec, 4-Passenger.

They will solve your ride quality problem with no excessive sag, or rubbing problems, loaded down.
Sounds like a great idea. If club car says they will work, to me that's the way to go. Now I just need to find them....
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #26
ProfessorGT
Not Yet Wild

Guys,

I'm still running stock rear shocks and have no issues. I lifted my 98 CCDS, installed a Navitas 5KW motor (love it) and in order to retain the R/R shock just extended the shock mounting from the top mounting plate 1.25" (cut it off and added a piece of flat plate steel the same thickness and welded it back up). I am however thinking of either going with the 55829/31176 shocks or a set of the MA705 Air Shocks (I have to double check to make sure that PN air shock will fit properly.

I added HD rear springs when I did the lift because I also added a rear flip seat. The reason I may add air shocks is of course in anticipation of carrying a heavier load, but it's probably way overkill, as the HD rear springs seem to do quite well. I may even take out a leaf or two, depending upon how it handles two heavy folks in the back seat, (yet untested).

Now, on to the function of "shocks": Shocks are also more appropriately called dampers because that is their function - to dampen or slow down oscillations. Without a shock, the weight of a vehicle would continually bounce on the spring that supports it. The shock is there to slow or dampen that movement so that you have 1 jounce (suspension/spring compression when hitting a speed bump for example) and then 1 rebound (suspension/spring extension) back to normal. This of course is the ideal situation, and it all revolves around having a spring that is matched to the weight of the vehicle/load.

Some will say that when upgrading to the Navitas 5K motor it's fine to just leave the shocks off completely, and while that can be done, now you have absolutely no suspension damping. Because the HD rear springs are fairly stiff it will work, but without the HD springs which are thereby not as stiff, you may experience objectionable oscillations (bouncyness - if that in fact is an acceptable word). It's all a matter of personal preference, however the point is that shocks are NOT meant to carry loads, only to dampen movement.

Air shocks, on the other hand are the exception. They add some additional load carrying capacity to the dampening function of the shock, but are dependant upon the strength of the mounting points being able to handle that extra load.

If I decide to go to Air Shocks, I will report back on my results with them. If I do, I will remove a leaf or two, as the HD springs I added are pretty stiff.
ProfessorGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #27
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm kind of amazed this thread has gotten this far without the mention of dual action springs. They are my go-to answer. They work like the helper springs on cars & trucks from years ago. Stock kind of ride till you put enough weight on the back to press into the heavy extra leaf. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...or-club-car-ds
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:32 PM   #28
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Keep in mind that the original thread is 5 years old ... I wonder if dual action golf cart springs were around 5 years ago?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car