lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Tigerted
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 txt

Brought the 2005 TXT to the shop to get running and they handed me a $1500 estimate. Bad steering box, new mother board on the charger 5 new batteries, etc..

We decided to try to get rid of it as a project cart but when I picked it up, the fella drove it onto my trailer. Decided to see I could do the repairs for less.

New Steering box and charger board on ebay were 1/3 of the cost at the shop so I ordered and changed them out. Hooked up the charger and viola, started charging and ultimately cart was rolling up and down the neighborhood pretty well for a while then nothing. Let it sit for a few minutes and it appeared to be fine. Ran for a few and then nothing.

Checked all of the connections and they are solid. Charger kicks on but the needle does not move when plugged in. After sitting for a few minutes with the power off, I get a spark on one of the battery terminals when I kick it on and hit the pedal.

I am sure I need new batteries but before I go out and make that investment, I want to know if I am possibly looking at controller/solenoid or other problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tigerted is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2005 txt

Spark on one of the battery terminals indicates a bad connection there. Fix that first and see if it runs better.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Tigerted
Not Yet Wild

It is clean and tight. Could it be that the battery itself is bad?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Tigerted
Not Yet Wild

Must be my batts. retightened the batt that was sparking and cart moved. Put it on the charger and it did start charging. However, the retightened connection on the batt got extremely hot on the charger.

Anything else it might be?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Take it off the charger before you cause more damage. Once it cools, completely remove the nut and cable, being careful not to let the loose cable touch anything. I suspect you'll see the problem.

You clearly have a bad connection. Clean, carefully sand to get the top of the battery terminal flat, IF NEEDED. Careful, lead is very soft. Clean cable terminal, retighten and try again.

I guess it's possible that it's internal to the battery, but I'd try what you have control over first.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Tigerted
Not Yet Wild

I've taken it off the charger. Will clean terminal and cable again.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerted View Post
I've taken it off the charger. Will clean terminal and cable again.

Thanks
I didn't realize you already cleaned it. You only mentioned tightening it. Be sure to follow manufacturer's recommendations for torquing. It doesn't take much to over-torque them.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

TT,
You must take any hot connection very seriously, it must be fixed immediately or serious damage can result. Not to mention, a spark near a battery can result in an explosion from the gasses. Corrosion on the battery cable between the wire and the terminal end can cause trouble, a loose or corroded terminal end at the battery post is bad, etc, etc. Connections should be clean & shiny when you put them together. The terminal nuts must be tight, but not over-tightened. You can't make up for a bit of corrosion by over-tightening the nut(s).
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

That's true, it could be a bad connection between the cable and its terminal.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Or worst case = a loose terminal.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO