lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO Golf Cart Battery Died in About an Hour

Eek - sorry - I have a 42V cart (7, 6V batteries) so 42V at rest is a little under 50% SOC.

I don't seem to be able to edit the original post..
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO Golf Cart Battery Died in About an Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Eek - sorry - I have a 42V cart (7, 6V batteries) so 42V at rest is a little under 50% SOC.

I don't seem to be able to edit the original post..
..a
Yes, the named voltage (2V, 6V, 8V, 12V, 36V, 42V, 48V, etc.) is below 50% SoC, and some brands of batteries have slightly higher At-Rest voltage than others, but it is still a reasonably good red-flag point to keep in mind, or at least a convenient one.

Also, the voltage you see when you first stop your cart is lower than it will climb to after resting for several minutes. I measured the voltage climb rate on a set of six T-105 batteries and found much of the voltage climb occurred in the first 5 minutes, most occurred in the first 15 minutes and nearly all occurred in the first half hour.

Here is what I found.
2008 TXT PDS with six 3 year old T-105's for 36V
Driven 10.2 Miles in Freedom Mode
Stop =37.05V - 68% SoC
5 Min = 37.37V - 77% SoC
10 Min = 37.43V - 78.5% SoC
15 Min = 37.49V - 80% SoC
20 Min = 37.51V - 81% SoC
30 Min = 37.53V - 81.5% SoC
60 Min = 37.57V - 82% SoC

As you see the apparent SoC changed by 14% over an elapsed time of 60 minutes.
While it did continue to climb after that, I stopped taking measurements after an hour had passed.

When I do battery studies (Run-time - Range - AH per mile and the like), I allow the batteries to rest at least 30 minutes before taking the "After" reading. When I just want to know when it is time to head back to the barn, I just use what my dash mounted DVM reads a few moments after my cart stops. That automatically puts me on the safer side.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dies, discharge, ezgo, fast, quickly
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO