lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #21
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v EZ-GO TXT Battery Cable Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by tteckster View Post
2/0 (00AWG) cable is better than 2AWG cable. Resistance is less also, 0.00007793
i assume that is not the kind i have?
v UNO v is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
tteckster
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by v UNO v View Post
i assume that is not the kind i have?
Pictures show 2/0 (00AWG)
tteckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tteckster View Post
Pictures show 2/0 (00AWG)

Yeah I got lucky.

Thank you for letting me know.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by v UNO v View Post
Here is a picture of how my cart is currently wire (how it was when i bought it.) I thik im going to take SIR NUKE's set up and make them the same length but look them like his. IM not a big fan of the "S" shape it has now.

Also this is all the numbers off the weldind cable im going to use. Im not sure of the strand count but maybe someone can tell just by looking at the numbers?
v UNO v, well seeing as how you have 2/0 which is bigger/thicker, it has a lot more strands....which is good. in fact I found the spec's for it and the strand count is 1254
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 36v EZ-GO TXT Battery Cable Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
seeing as how you have 2/0 which is bigger/thicker, it has a lot more strands....which is good. in fact I found the spec's for it and the strand count is 1254
Im so happy that I lucked into this, because this doesnt really happen like this that often.

Sir Nuke, i really appreciate all your help with this. I am happy to hear that i dont have to worry about having the wrong kind of cable.

On a side note, does anyone know how much cable i will realistically need to make all 13 cables correctly? Would 20 ft be sufficient?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One thing to consider is cutting off half a inch of the ends - not the end of each cable, but just the 20' cable. This will insure you have clean, non-oxidized cable strands, if you're planning on soldering the lugs. Probably less important for crimp connectors, but once you strip it, it should look nice and shiny.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for that...i was going to crimp but was looking at soldering.

I have never done it so thats why im a little iffy. Dont want to f*ck up and waste my supplies.

Should i use tinned lugs or regular copper lugs for the cable ends?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I just used copper, but tinned may not turn green quite as fast. Be sure to use the right flux. Plumbing flux is corrosive. I used 100% rosin. Radio Shack carries it.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Some flux is corrosive - it's a good idea as mentioned before to clean the copper after soldering. Generally a high amperage cable connection is not a good place to learn to solder. I'm just saying if you haven't any experience your chances of being 100% successful are not that good. Crimp and solder maybe a better approach. That way if the solder joint is not good the crimp can still make (maintain) a connection.

We had a guy on here a while back who bought all the right the right supplies and went through all the 'right' steps and started having performance trouble with the cart..... many pages of help later he finally posted a pic of the wiring an we saw the the problem was the soldering.
I'm sure I could teach a successful solderer in a day but I could type for a week and never cover all that's relative to success. For one my methods vary with the ambient temperature.
.........I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that, it's just food for thought. Often times people who tell you to just go for it have already forgotten half of what they automatically do to make a task successful.

Start small and get hands on help.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've done quite a bit of plumbing and electrical soldering, but I did a few test runs before going into production mode. I did a test, then dissected it, to ensure enough heat/flux/solder to completely cover every strand. I used AWG2, and yours is a LOT bigger. Be sure to get the proper sized lugs, and they aren't a size you could probably find in AutoZone or Home Depot. a 3/8" would work, but I think mine were 5/16".
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO