lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
bhusky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default newbie 48volt question??

Hey guys im new to the forum but I got a question. I have a 98 ezgo series cart 36 volt. Its lift on 22's with 8:1 gears. So I got a d&d motor from a friend on trade its the high speed 8.6 hp 4850 rpm motor. I was wondering if its capable of being used on 48 volts and wwhat controller youd recommend for this setup. Its not a off road cart just used in my golf neighborhood any help would be great
bhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: newbie 48volt question??

48v yes - 500 amps should be good
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
bhusky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks scottyb thats what I was looking for. Im definitely gonna give you a shout in the next couple weeks to order a few things.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You'll actually be using a lot less amps. Not sure of the specs of that motor, the manufacturer lists "for 36V" but doesn't say anything about higher voltage. The only danger would be over-revving the motor when going downhill.
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
bhusky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah I couldnt find anything about 48 volting that particular motor. It says its rated for 4800 rpm. I may have to give d&d a call im guessing. So u think even with gears itll over rev it?? Thanks for the input
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhusky View Post
Yeah I couldnt find anything about 48 volting that particular motor. It says its rated for 4800 rpm. I may have to give d&d a call im guessing. So u think even with gears itll over rev it?? Thanks for the input
The wires don't know what the voltage is.
It is the Amps that generate the heat that kills motors and running at a 33% higher voltage cuts the amps by 33% as well.

With 8:1 gears and 22" tires you will be doing about about 39 MPH AT 4800 RPM and I suspect D&D will tell you not to exceed 6500 RPM on their motors, which is 53 MPH with those gears and tires.

More than likely, you'll run out of battery pack power before you reach 4800 RPM on level ground and it will have to be a mighty lomg and steep downhill run to get anywhere near 6500 RPM.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO