lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
tblood988
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2007 TXT Standard F&R Installation Help

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums. I have a 2007 TXT Standard non DCS cart. I bought it from an EZ-GO dealer that had just taken it in as a trade-in. I have had it for less than a month. It has larger tires and aftermarket rims (doesn't look to be lifted, if it is, it isn't much), a back seat, extended top, radio and lights. The dealer also told me it has a high pseed motor. I can't confirm or deny that, because I don't know what the stock motor should be. When I picked it up, he said that he had just replaced the F&R switch because, "The original owner's kids were driving it too slowly and it fried the switch." I am thinking, cool new parts. They should last a while.

The third time I drove it around the neighborhood, I started to smell some burning plastic. At first I thought it may just be the parts breaking in, but it continued after a couple of weeks. I found this forum and I read up on the issue and called the dealer to ask him which switch he put in the cart. He said it was a standard switch, then I reminded him of all the aftermarket stuff on the cart. He sent me a new HD switch that I plan to install. He said he would install for me, but I live two hours away from where I bought it.

I don't know if the controller and solenoid were replaced when the new motor was installed. I did notice that the battery cables are 4Ga wires, though, so at least that was done. I'll try to get some part numbers while I am replacing the switch.

I have the sense to label everything before I remove any wires, but I am wondering if there is any specific order in which I should remove the wires. Do I need to disconnect the main power before I start, or is having the key switch in the OFF position sufficient to prevent me from frying everything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tblood988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
tblood988
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2007 TXT Standard F&R Installation Help

By the way, it is 36v, with 1 year old Trojan batteries.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to the forum - the stock parts in the drive system are designed for golf. Stock tires, 2 people & a groomed pathway, drive for 300 ft and rest (cool).

Big tires, added seating, extended use, all tax the amperage delivery system beyond it's capacity. Another new stock F&R will just burn up like the last one.
The cart needs an upgraded control, solenoid, cables, & F&R.

You can put my HD switch cam into the new F&R you got and solve that problem but, the other items I listed will have to be checked.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Absolutely, I would remove the leads coming from the batteries prior to sticking my wrench into the birds nest. That's some serious juice going through those wires!!!

Label the wires. Take a picture with your digital camera.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
tblood988
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

ScottyB, you don't think the HD switch he sent will work? I have read a lot about the process of upgrading everything, and will do so if I find that the current stuff isn't already beefed up.

I have looked at your stuff and am considering your HD cam, but why does the switch say HD on it, if isn't HD?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
tblood988
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Doug, you said remove the leads coming from the battery. I will do that. I haven't looked at a schematic yet, but the leads coming from the battery going to where?

I assume that the power path (in simple terms) is battery pack, f&r switch, controller, solenoid, then motor? So I would need to remove the cables going from the battery pack to the f&r switch?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
tblood988
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a picture of the cart so you can see the tires and rims, and minimal, if any, lift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart.jpg (102.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
mike777
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblood988 View Post
Here is a picture of the cart so you can see the tires and rims, and minimal, if any, lift.
wondering what you paid, and what part of country you live in
mike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
tblood988
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I live in Eastern, NC. I had to go inland because prices on the coast are super high. I paid $2300.00.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
tblood988
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't have a tow/run switch. Is there anything I need to do before I disconnect the baterry cables?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO