lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Default 1994 Ez-Go very slow

I have a 1994 TXT that is very slow. Batteries check out fine, but I did notice that the M- on the controller is getting warm, not hot, but warm. I thought about replacing the controller but I don't want the customer to have to pay more than he needs to. Any ideas guys??
Thanks!
Cameron.
TheFlash16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1994 Ez-Go very slow

I think you need to do more troubleshooting before charging a customer for a controller for a slow cart condition. Check simple stuff first that doesn't cost money like the throttle ITS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itsthrottleadjustment.jpg (180.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg itsthrottleadjustment2.jpg (93.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg itsthrottleadjustment3.jpg (72.4 KB, 0 views)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Guess I should mention that I have already checked ITS adjustment, even tried a new one on it. Also changed the contacts in the FNR selector. Still slow.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check the voltage between the controller's B- and M- terminals.
Should be Full battery pack voltage when the solenoid first clicks and decrease to near Zero with pedal on floor.

If you don't get full pack voltage when solenoid first clicks, there is excessive resistance somewhere in the High Current loop. Any cables or connections getting very warm (more than about 10°F above ambient air temperature) indicates excessive resistance and needs to be fixed/replaced.

If the voltage doesn't drop to near zero while the cart is accelerating from a stand still, either the controller isn't be told to turn on fully (ITS issues) or the controller is bad.

Also what is the pack voltage and individual battery voltages before and after a five mile run?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

JohnnieB, I measured the controller as you said and it is exactly what you said it should be. The batteries load tested at 72 minutes. Not the best but definitely not the worst. I also restarted the load tester and measured each battery, all the same at 6.8 (remember this was after the load tester drew the batteries down) We have a used all trax AXE so I put it in, along with a new solenoid. Runs better on a flat surface, but with any incline it slows to a snails pace... Still lost on this one

Thanks,
Cameron
Old 11-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You may have the very weak 2hp blue motor. They were low on rpm and power explaining the slow speed and lack of pulling up hill.

I'll assume you also checked for brake dragging?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it isn't the batteries, the controller or the ITS, that leaves the motor, the cables/connections and mechanical drag.

If the cart pushes across level ground about the same as other similar carts, check the various cables for a voltage drop across them while driving cart.

If they are 6Ga cables, none of the 13 should have much more than 0.04 Volts per foot per 100A of current flow. It would be less for heavier gauge cables.

If the motor has a lot of carbon dust in it, some of the current may be shunted through it instead of the windings.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

72 min is pretty low compared to 110. How about a pack voltage run test? What does the pack drop to when the cart is slow?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Checked the motor, took it all apart. The brushes were fine, dusty so I blew it out. Cleaned the terminals. Put it back in. Checked the wires. All 6G wires and no unnecessary resistance. Brakes aren't dragging.. Maybe heavier gauge wire?
The customer wants to put new batteries in it anyways so I guess I'll get me some U.S. 2000's and hopefully it works.

Thanks for all the help!! Any other ideas, throw them out there please!
Cameron
Old 11-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Scottyb Oh I know it's fairly low but we have people that keep batteries when they're at 30 mins... and when the cart is slow, battery voltage remains the same at 38.1V. Up a hill, on flat ground heck even down a hill. Lol.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO