lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
seeingreds
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cart doesn't seem to hold charge?

So I put 5 new batteries in day 1. The guy at the local cart shop tested and said that the one battery was pretty new and should be fine.

Day 1 the cart drove great. Day 2 Carr drove ok but didn't seem to have expected power. Day 3 the controller got hot and cart shut down for a bit, then would go again, still didn't have much power and would slow to a crawl...keep in mind I charged each night. Using a Stanley Golf cart Battery Charger.

Put new upgraded controller and solenoid from ScottyB on. Still would run ok for a little bit but still slows to crawl.

Discovered I have the blue weak 2 HP motor...so expect 8 mph...which I think I get for short periods.

So I put volt meter on it. At rest it says 36 Volts. When I drive it the voltage drops to 22-25. At rest it returns to 36. What's normal?

Has original cables now, but I have a set of 2 gauge cables I haven't yet put on. Hadn't had time...

Starting to get frustrated. What say ye golf cart gurus?
seeingreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart doesn't seem to hold charge?

well for starters, its no wonder your having issues, if your DVM says it only has 36v....they are technically DEAD. a 36v pack should be at 38.2v, 12 hrs after the charge cycle stops, when fully charged. and you should NEVER let the get below 36v as that is the point you should stop using your cart and charge it......and YES, charge it after every days use. so something tells me you have an issue with your charger.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
seeingreds
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have been a been apprehensive about the Stanley charger, I had never seen one. Somebody on another forum said to get rid of it as they aren't as good as the proper charger.

Any input. Wish I knew someone with a regular charger so I could see if that was the issue for sure.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Spend the money on a good charger a DPI accusense charger the only way to go
From the site sponsors ( carts unlimited )
Cheers !
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need a decent charger, just get the DPI from Scotty (CartsUnlimited).

I don't agree with mixing 5 new batteries with one existing. You should have changed out all 6.
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
well for starters, its no wonder your having issues, if your DVM says it only has 36v....they are technically DEAD. a 36v pack should be at 38.2v, 12 hrs after the charge cycle stops, when fully charged. and you should NEVER let the get below 36v as that is the point you should stop using your cart and charge it......and YES, charge it after every days use. so something tells me you have an issue with your charger.
Just to clarify, the minimum 36v reading is with the cart at rest for 10 mins or more, not under load running. I also agree you have a charging issue.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
seeingreds
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I ordered a new charger as advised from Carts Unlimited. Hope this does the trick. I installed the 2 gauge cables this weekend as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO