lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #11
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lestronic Charger Question

I've got another question about caps. Do these need to be mounted vertically as they are in the chargers? I've noticed in every charger I've worked on that all the caps are vertical mounted with the terminals facing up. Is this necessary or is it just a design for saving space? Where we live we get many days that are cool at night and then warm up quickly. This causes things that are still cool to sweat. This includes the capacitors in the chargers. If I were to mount the caps either upside down or horizontally, the water would run right off. As it is, it collects in the top of the caps. I'd appreciate thoughts on remounting the caps, if possible. Thanks again!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Unless it has a label that says "This Side Up", I don't think it matters.

The same type capacitors are mounted horizontally on motors, so my guess is that leads pointing down is okay.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks John! I couldn't see any reason to mount them only vertically either. Actually if it's upside down, it's still vertically! There's plenty of wire length on the transformer to do this.
I haven't had a chance to put the diode into the sensor circuit yet. As soon as I do I'll post what the results are.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The only thing that may be a concern is they are oil filled. However, I gotta believe the can is as small as possible, so there shouldn't be a problem with one end drying out. Some caps have pressure relief vents, and I've always seen them mounted on the top, but as long as it doesn't overheat and drip - and this is assuming they even have vents - I'd think you'll be fine.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The two I'm working with have a solder plug on the case, between the two terminals. I don't see any kind of vent on them. One also says "no PCB's", so does that mean there is no oil in it?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

PCBs were developed during WWI or II and were nonflammable oils used in Distribution transformers. Good oils, but caused some birds' eggs to be so thin they became endangered. They are carcinogenic if you drink gallons each day, but non-pcb would indicate a "safe" oil. Dunno in caps but mineral oils are often used in transformers, with a possible additive to help reduce moisture.

Again, I wouldn't sweat orientation, as the can is not gonna be any bigger than necessarily, and the plates (coiled foil) will probably have plenty of oil.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #17
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
I've noticed a quite large fluctuation on the line voltage during the day. It can go from 121.5V down to 95V! We have a shared transformer to a business next to us.
That situation is rediculous. Call your power service and have them correct it. Your appliances will thank you and last longer.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #18
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
That situation is rediculous. Call your power service and have them correct it. Your appliances will thank you and last longer.
We have contacted them and so far nothing has transpired! They are waiting to get more businesses before giving us our own transformer. The wheels of progress turn slowly out here in the woods!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #19
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Since you're only getting 90% of the power they promised you perhaps you should only pay 90% of your bill.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #20
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Since you're only getting 90% of the power they promised you perhaps you should only pay 90% of your bill.
Hmmm - - -, not a bad idea! We'll run that by them!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO