lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Which pds cart to buy?

I can buy a 2010 36v PDS with new batteries for $2350 or a 2011 48v PDS with new batteries for $2450. Both are at local cart dealer and I have seen both. Stock white in color PDS carts in good condition.

Which would you choose, the 36v or the 48v one year newer one for only $100 more?

Strictly for golf course use about 8 times per month.
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #2
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Which pds cart to buy?

Bricks I'd "definitely" choose the 2011 48v for just $100 more. Who knows, you might want a little more power later, and you WON'T convert from 36v to 48v for $100. Plus the batteries are one year newer so that's a plus there. I just converted my 2010 ezgo pds from 36v to 48v a couple of weeks ago and it would have been alot easier if it would have already been 48v. For one I wouldn't have had to buy a new charger, controller, and solenoid. Just my thought, and a need a penny for it to.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would get the 2011 48v cart if you intend no further mods. If you are going to mod it get the 36v cart.

A stock 48v cart is NOT the same as a 36v cart converted to 48v. The converted cart will be much faster and have more torque then a stock 48v cart.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 48v PDS is actually PDSII system. IF so PDS(2) upgrade controls are hard to find and expensive.

IF yes, I would get the 36v PDS and upgrade.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

ScottyB, you are probably correct. Even the guy that has them said he would probably go with the 36 volt, even though the 48 volt can be programmed to run faster. I am just looking for a decent cart to use on the golf course. Either one will come with new batteries, and I know I can put a speed chip in the 36 volt and get it to about 19 mph, so that is probably the route I will go.

I was just curious as to the differences in the 36 volt vs. 48 volt system. Will do a google search for PDS2 and see what I can come up with.
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks View Post
..............I was just curious as to the differences in the 36 volt vs. 48 volt system. Will do a google search for PDS2 and see what I can come up with.
About $1,000 difference in the price of a replacement controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Johnnie just wondering are the PDS2 an AC electric like rxv, can they be upgraded with alltrax dcx controllers.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
Johnnie just wondering are the PDS2 an AC electric like rxv, can they be upgraded with alltrax dcx controllers.
No and a qualified Yes.

No, the factory 48V "PDS" carts use a sepex motor just like the 36V PDS carts, while the RXV uses a 3-Phase AC motor.

As for upgrading with a DCX controller, it can be done, but you will have to modify the cart's control wiring because Alltrax doesn't make a wiring adapter for it. (Give Alltrax a call - they might be making them now)

The DCX controllers were designed specifically to be a Plug-n-Play for the DCS controller. When the EZGO PDS, CC-IQ, CC-PD+ and Yamaha-G19 came into existence, Alltrax designed Interface Wiring Adapters so DCX controllers could be installed in those carts. Field Mapping firmware for the DCX controller was also written for the motors used in those carts.

It probably doesn't matter much, but the PDS-II controller was used in 48V Shuttles with sepex drives while the TCT controller is used in 48V TXT carts with sepex drives. The PDSD-II is a Curtis 1264, but I don't know what the Curtis model number for the TCT is.

Attached are schematics for both PDS-II and TCT drive systems as well as the 36V PDS system. As you can see, all three are essentially the same expect for which wire goes where.

Looks like someone with good wiring and soldering skills could take a PDS to DCX wiring adapter and modify it so a DCX controller would work in a PDS-II or TCT cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS-II Shuttle.JPG (94.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TXT 48V TCT schematic .JPG (77.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (64.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for the in depth explanation, I will check with alltrax, maybe they have an adapter cable like I have on my 2007 txt. Also thanks for the wiring diagrams.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO