lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

Default Advice - EZGO PDS Motor Replacement

Hi,

I am trying to replace my 36V 2004 EZGO PDS Stock Motor with the one D&D Motors sent me (170-502-0001).

A couple of questions:

1) The wiring for the speed sensor is different (see pics "sensor old and new"). The old one had a snap ring with a black plug on the end. The new one has a three wire connector. I traced the old wire back to the controller (see pic "sensor connector") and it has three wire connector into the controller.

My question is: do I just cut off the old plug connector and the new motor connector and splice the wires in? Or can I but a new wire with the proper connections? Advice???

2) Is there anything that I need to take from the old motor to insert into the new motor? The reason I ask, is that I have seen some youtube videos on the Fleet model and they transferred over a noise reducer I think. (see pics Old/New Motor).

Thanks a million for your advice. I thought this was going to be easy, until I unboxed the little bugger lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old-Motor-Spped-Sensor-Connector.jpg (42.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New-Motor-Speed-Sensor-Connector.jpg (41.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wire-connector-to-Controller.jpg (36.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Old-Motor.jpg (50.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New-Motor.jpg (55.4 KB, 0 views)
mdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Advice - EZGO PDS Motor Replacement

I have a D&D motor, but my controller that doesn't use the speed sensor, so it wasn't an issue.

1. Here is a cut & paste of the speed sensor on my motor, identifying what each of the three wire are. It also gives the part number for the plug used, so you might find a mating plug for it, but I don't thing there is and pre-made adapter cable available. Personally, I'd just cut the plug off and solder the wires together. (Seal the solder joints good, you'll get some water splashed on them back there.)

Black = negative voltage from controller. (Same as stock)
Red = Positive voltage fro m controller. (Same as stock)
Green = Output signal to controller. (Was White on Stock)

2. Yes the is a rubber insert in the end of you old motor that has to be transferred to the new one. Use a pick or needle-nose pliers to pull it out.

It's hard to see, but it is there, the cavity of the old shaft looks exactly like the new shaft when the rubber bumper is out.

Be sure to use some anti-seize compound on the splines when you install the new motor.

-------
The new motor is definitely a high-torque motor, look at the relative size of the field windings compared to those in the stock motor.

I don't know what your end goal is, but if 12 MPH on stock height tires is too slow for your desires, put a DCX400 or DCX500 controller in it and you'll probable get around 20 MPH as well as more torque with that motor.

--------
If you don't mind, I'm may use you photos in the future to show the difference between a stock and torque motor. The only pictures I've got of a stock PDS motor is after the armature exploded. (See Second attached picture)

Also here is what the field coils on a High speed D&D motor looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speed Sensor.jpg (41.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.jpg (495.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (506.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB!

The rubber plug that I need to transfer, is it the one high-lighted with the arrow in the attached picture?

Thanks for all the info, feel free to use any pictures you like. I will get you a better one of the old motor when I work on it tomorrow ..

We live on a hill here, so I thought I would beef up the motor a bit since I was replacing it ... :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old-Motor.jpg (71.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

P.S,

Do you think this would work?

http://www.deutschconnector.com/prod.../DT06-3S-Assy/
Old 04-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yes, that is the rubber bumper, but it is a lot bigger than just the small circle in the middle. The outer edges of it are in the splines. Basically, it is the same diameter as the input shaft on the differential.

When something is replaced, replace it with something better is a good philosophy to adhere to with carts.

When the stock Solenoid (85A) goes, replavce it with at least a 200A unit that will work at 36V, 42V and 48V.
When the stock controller (300A) goes, replace it with a DCX400 or larger, which will work at 36V, 42V and 48V.
When the batteries need to be replaced, replace them with seven 6V for 42V or six 8V for 48V (or eight 6V for 48V, but eight batteries won't fit under the seat with out relocating the controller and solenoid).

------------
It appears that the plug in the link will work, and they will pre-wire them, for a fee of course.

I'm going to use the unused speed sensor on my motor to drive a tachometer, and have to put a pull-up resistor between B+ and the output wire, so I might order one of the plugs and put the circuit in a small watertight box.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Also, if you haven't already replaced the high current cables (all 10 of them), replace them with 4Ga or larger with sealed ends.

The stock cables on my 2008 PDS looked good when I acquired it in 2011, but they weren't.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again for the info Johnnie, I will keep that in mind!

I am an idiot though, I got the rubber plug out, but the pulled apart the middle of it (see attached pics). Is it still usable or should I get a new one and where?

As for the anti-seize compound, is lithium grease ok?

The tachometer sounds cool!

While I was destroying the rubber insert, I did get a better picture for you of the old stock motor.

Thanks again ....
m
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plug1.jpg (46.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Plug2.jpg (44.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Plug3.jpg (30.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Stock-Motor2.jpg (38.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the better picture of the old motor.

The rubber thingy will work as is, but here is a link to a new one: http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Spline-Bumper.html

Google the part number and you might find it cheaper someplace other than EZGO.

Lithium grease is a lubricant, why not use a true anti-seize compound.

---------
The motor is direct coupled, so motor RPM can be used to determine cart speed if you know the diameter of the rear tires and the differential gear ratio. (Which is 12.44:1 in stock PDS cart. )

When I drive in town, I have to limit myself to 25MPH on most the streets and 15 MPH in some areas, and I don't always carry a GPS with me, so having a tach with list of MPH vs RPM will come in handy at times. Also, I try to limit my motor to 6,500 RPM.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

You are "the man"! Thanks for the info, you make this doable! Let me know how your tachometer works out!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

Hey Johnnie,

Well, I have the anti-seize compound and Spline Bumper on order. Still looking into the cable options .... might go with the custom assembly option. I sent the company an email to see if they would put J5 connect on the other end ... will see. I cut the old cable to see if I could figure out the AWG size of the wire ... does 20 AWG sound about right?

I have read that you use the anti-seize compound sparingly ... Is there any trick to putting in the new Spline bumper?

I will let you know how the cable request turns out .... if you're interested.

Talk to you later!

Tags
ezgo pds motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO