lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #11
rmarti60
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 creeps before it fires

Thanks for helping.

I especially appreciate the info indicating that the solenoids can be opened and cleaned. I will jack up the cart, then thoroughly check and clean each connection before looking into the solenoids.
rmarti60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Make sure to take pictures before pulling solenoids makes it a lot easier going back in when you know where witch wire goes
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Make sure to take pictures before pulling solenoids makes it a lot easier going back in when you know where witch wire goes
Spicy has a good point. Pictures always help with the re-assembly process. I do it constantly when working on mine.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #14
rmarti60
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yep, learned that lesson the hard way many years ago working on my gyros.
But thanks for your wisdom.

I should have enough time to get the analysis done this weekend and will post what I find when I return.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #15
rmarti60
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Well, it's good news.

As I started to check all the connections I noticed that two of the heavy "battery type cables" running from the solenoids to the starter generator had been reversed at the starter generator.

The week before, as I was preparing to remove the engine, I did label the wires. But my buddy was helping me put everything back in. And even though he's a superior mechanic, he either overlooked or misinterpreted my labeling. I put the wires back in correct position and reverse is now working again.

During the reassembly we:
1. got the clutch cleaned, lubed and and sliding smoothly
2. disabled the injector pump
3. plugged the jet sensor nipple

Not knowing any better, weeks ago we had put a few gallons of 50:1 in. I'm gradually working the mix down to about 85:1. And of course I've now read about the factory 150:1 to 300:1 ratio. But it gives me the creeps to go that thin. I have a few new plugs on standby and will monitor the plug and exhaust for a while before going to 100:1. I'm using the same oil I use in my Rotax 582 on my gyroplane. It's the really good Penzoil for air cooled engines.

I now have a total of $132.00 in the machine and have a very good running machine. But since it's been out of service for a few years, I won't be surprised if some other problems pop up.

So even though it's pretty ugly, I'm just going to keep driving it the way it is until I have a little more confidence in it. The bumpers are both damaged and there are some cracks in the body. I do need to build a seat though. The driver's original bucket seat is still there, but right now I just have an old seat cushion for the front passenger.

Once again, I want to say thanks for all the help. You guys are great.

- Rick
Old 07-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #16
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Iv been running 100:1 past two years runs good.... If you can weld I'd suggest making bumpers I made my own this winter for a whopping $20 in metal heres a link to show you what I did http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-g1-build.html
Old 07-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #17
rmarti60
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Spicy. I like what you did. And no, I have not learned to weld (It's on my list of things to do and I have people around me that can teach me.). But I think when I get my old bumpers off, and if the mounting points are straight and usable, I will make a couple of bumpers out of some nice cherry wood that I have access to. I'll just finish them with a thick layer of some good urethane and call it done. I don't expect that they'll ever have to really act as bumpers.

When, and if, the beast starts to undergo some nice cosmetic changes I'll post some photos. Believe me, it's nothing to look at right now.

I really appreciate the ratio info.

- Rick
Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #18
rmarti60
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'm really loving this old G1.

I'm still a little frustrated with these two issues:

1. I understand that my clutch does not have the shaft spring, but it is still so "jumpy" when trying to go slow. In other words, I'm constantly on and off the throttle/starter motor when trying to kind of just creep along. I think I'll try to idle it down a bit.

2. My cart has its original suspension and sits quite low. I drive almost exclusively on turf and am amazed at the amount of dust/grass which accumulates so quickly under the seat! I mean it makes me want to clean my air cleaner every day.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #19
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Try cleaning are lubing the clutches with a dry lithium grease (needs to be a dry lube to prevent future dust build up) it should be able to creep along smoothly
Old 05-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #20
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Also if it feels like the throttle is all or nothing IV seen people not knowing what they are doing and adjust throttle cables thinking they are bypassing the govener may need to adjust them you want motor to turn over before carb butter fly starts to open
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha