lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
slumper1
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha g9 not charging

Hello someone please help!! I know there is Threads all over here about charging systems. I have a Yamaha g9 that will not charge the battery. just started not charging out of the blue. first I replaced the battery them starter/gen and voltage regulator still nothing. I have checked connections and traced wires with no luck. seems to be a pretty common issue with all makes I just cant figure this *** thing out. does the throttle pedal switch have anything to do with the charging system? Thank you in advance for any Help .
slumper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha g9 not charging

OUCH !!! You appear to be where you started, only with some new parts. The throttle pedal switch will not affect charging, if the cart is cranking normally!! It applies power to the system. A couple questions first:

1. Do you have your wiring diagram? If not, it is available from the stickies located at the very beginning of the threads and you should get that.

2. Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it ?

3. Did you purchase OEM or aftermarket parts ? (have seen posts here where
aftermarket parts have not been so good)

4. Does the new starter/gen seem to be cranking the engine over as it should ?

5. Did you double check wire connections to the voltage regulator? (although not necessary if regulator is solid state).

The fact that you have new parts indicates you may have issues with wiring, and the voltmeter would come in handy checking to see if various voltages are appearing where they should. (A 12 volt test light would also work.)

We can try to help and be advised you may have to cut into the wiring harness. - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 10-03-2016 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: clarified
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The link for the G9A doesn't work, but if you go to post #31 the diagram is there.

Never mind, here's the wiring:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...-corrected.jpg
Old 10-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
slumper1
Not Yet Wild

Hello bigstik thank you for responding. yes i do have the tools. it cranks over fine starts and runs until the battery runs low on voltage. yes i bought aftermarket parts and nothing has changed the charging issue. i am spoiled with working on cars most of the time its the generator. thank you for the wire schematics. could you guide me on some checks?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
slumper1
Not Yet Wild

i have 11.5 volts at both wires at the voltage regulator with engine running
Old 10-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I believe your voltage regulator is the solid state type, so those connections at the regulator should be ok. You should make sure battery is fully charged.

1 st you need to make sure the voltage on the R/W wire at the generator has +battery voltage on it with pedal depressed. (for safety, be sure cart is in neutral or jacked up for this).

Now to check the generator
Once you are sure the R/W wire at the generator has voltage, you now start the cart, then ground the green wire from the generator (only momentarily) and look for at least 16 volts or higher at the battery. This applies full field to the generator causing maximum output. If voltage is high, generator is working. (This is what the regulator does only many times per minute).

Voltage regulator operation
The voltage regulator, if working ok, will ground and unground the green wire many times per minute and regulate the voltage at the factory set voltage of 14-15 volts. You should check to see that the R/W wire at the regulator has +bat. voltage on it. Also make sure the green wire has continuity between generator and regulator. Also make sure the black wire at the regulator goes to ground. If voltage and continuity is ok, maybe bad regulator.

Let me know what you find and we can go from there. RAY

PS - To make it easier, you can perform some of these checks from the voltage regulator plug if you unplug it from the regulator. Also, I think your G9 may have a brown wire at the plug and that should have bat.+ voltage on it when solenoid is picked up.

Last edited by bigstik40; 10-03-2016 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: add PS
Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
slumper1
Not Yet Wild

Bigstik I know I do have power on the r/w at the generator when gas pedal is pressed. so tonight when I get home I will ground out the green wire on the gen and test it. Thank you so much for your help I am getting my confidence back that I can find the issue.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Like I mentioned in the PS, you can pull the VR plug and ground the green wire right in the plug. Will also check continuity of green. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #9
slumper1
Not Yet Wild

ok bigstik40 i have 12.2 volts when running short the green wire to ground at the generator or at the regulator plug and it drops to 11.8
Old 10-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
slumper1
Not Yet Wild

Bigstik40 i put my old starter generator on and now its charging. i either had a bad connection or a bad regulator. i replaced the starter before the regulator and caused another problem with a junk aftermarket generator. thank you so much for your help. its people like you that make these forums work. if your ever in wisconsin for o packer game i will buy you some drinks. thanks man i really appreciate your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha