lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Superdave74
Not Yet Wild

Default g29 turns over 1-2x slowly then quits

I have a g29, 2013 carb model that won't start. It'd been sitting for a week or so, got in to drive and it started to turn over when i hit the gas, then nothing. Figured the battery was dead so jumped it and it was fine.

I was using it around the yard gardening the next day and intermitently it would do the same thing. It'd run fine for 50 yards, get out to pick up some sticks and back in the cart 30 seconds later and it would start to turn over slowly 1-2x then nothing. I decided to try using the choke, which had never been necessary, and it would turn over and run. I always use ethanol free gas, but had purchased the cart used about 1 year ago.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks,
Dave
Superdave74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
Superdave74
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: g29 turns over 1-2x slowly then quits

So I took the battery out to Autozone, it's the original battery and doesn't list the amps. I had them test it and they said it had an 11% charge at 480 cca. They said they could throw it on a slow charger for 4-5 hours to see how it does, so I'll pick it up later tonight.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I'm thinking that it's battery time.

And Welcome...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Battery, then check battery terminals. After you get it running check the charging voltage
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
Superdave74
Not Yet Wild

They charged the battery and it held a charge, installed it this am and it cranked quickly without the lights dimming. The terminals looked perfect, no acidic corrosion anywhere.

So guessing age of the battery could be an issue or perhaps the alternator is having an issue.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Superdave74
Not Yet Wild

cfherrman.....how would I check the charging voltage? I'm guessing with a volt meter, but would it connect the leads to the battery itself?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Yes just put the cart in neutral and check voltage before, during starting, idleish and around 2500-3500.

Voltage before should be 12.5 - 13
During, probably more then 10-11 as your lights didn't dim
Idle I think is 13 or so
At rpm it should be in the 14s
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The thing you have to remember is that the generator will only supply up to 15 amps while running. So if you do a lot of stop and go short runs, you will run the battery down more than you will charge it back up. If you can't run it for longer runs, put it on a battery charger once a week to keep it topped up.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Super easy check.... Start & run engine, turn lights on. Let engine stop. Note if lights dim when engine dies. If lights DO dim when engine dies, the system is charging. This test may not work with Led headlights, they have their own led regulator built in.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha