lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
eg196
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Clutch mod or upgrade

Hey guys. Just want to say thanks to everyone that help get my cart running. Now I'm settling in and trying to improve it performance wise. I've been reading that there are some clutch mods that can lead to better low end torque/acceleration. Does that come at the price of high end speed? And what exactly are those models? Something about a pvc shim. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. Thanks
eg196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Clutch mod or upgrade

I had to change mine and I received the one from GolfCartPlus... I also ordered a new spring for the secondary clutch to balance the "higher performance" of the primary one.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/yamaha-...amaha%20clutch

I tried with both springs, original and performance without any difference. This being said, I have the Japanase version (4 seater) which has the same transmission that the G11 utility cart (US version). The only differences are the spring and the axle (bigger diameter). Would I want to install a 8:1 speed gear, I would just have to increase the hole of the big wheel and that is it, the small goes directly. I do not think there is such a kit for G11 (as far as I know) but a member here installed one: his post...

Whatever spring I use, I have the same feeling, so the spring must be quite equal...

Concerning the primary clucth, I had the impression to have a bit more torque without having lost any top speed (from GPS). Now again, some times I go at the previous top speed and sometimes not, as before in fact.

All this to say, I did not really find any change and my thinking is I cannot trust my "feelings"....

One point I wanted to add, perhaps:

I was quite disappointed by the clutch I received from GolfCartPlus. Nice part but... one of the thread of the bolts was TOTALLY finished, I mean opening the box, I was able by hand to indefinitely tight it (no too)l! Later, a second was almost the same, I felt tighting it (but gently with a tool this time). Aluminium is what it is, so I had no choice than to install 3 heli-Coils. All is ok now and I am satisfied with their clutch, but I was disappointed...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Clutch mod or upgrade

First thing you want is a new belt, if your clutches look worn on the faces from the belt (dished in looking) you may want to try a 1 1/4 wide belt in the same size as stock. Make sure the motor mounts are not broken and allowing the engine to move around. Lube the inner shaft in the secondary, check the feet on the ramps back in there, check the ramps condition.

It depends on what clutch you have the original G1 hard to find parts for, it was square looking aluminum. The replacement was a G9 clutch it has a big rounded gold color cover on it. It can hit the frame if you lift the cart because it sticks out more. Some shim the spring in the secondary (on the trans, this is the pvc shim) it can help it rev a little more at lower speeds. You can also shim the primary if its the old style with a spring inside, that will make it rev more when you take off. However a good running G1 should peel the tires in grass or dirt when you take off (all stock) if everything is working right.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha