lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Eng003
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G22 Pulling left

I bought my first cart its a 2005 Gas G22 and I'm learning now what I should have looked for. When I bought it, it would run but was cutting out. I changed the fuel pump and rebuilt the carb. It now runs like a beast! Now that its running great I discovered that its pulling hard left. I then went to adjust the toe in and found that the left caster is bent! The tie rods and bushings appear to be new to me so I'm guessing they tried to fix it but didn't want to dish out the money (almost $200 each) for the new oem shocks as they have the casters welded to them. After I adjusted the toe in on the cart it drives in a straight line now which is nice, I'm just concerned that the alignment is just going to be out of tolerance again after driving it for any amount of time. I was able to find a great set of used front shocks for $60 and plan to replace them this weekend. The cart has a 6" jakes spindle lift on it. If I have alignment issues after changing these shocks out I think I'm just going to put a jakes long arm kit on it. If it comes to that I will have to cross the hurdle of convincing my wife that its needed lol. Is there anything else I should look for when replacing the shocks? Any advice is appreciated. Attached is an image of the driver side shock/caster that is bent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shock.jpg (43.6 KB, 0 views)
Eng003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Eng003
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 Pulling left

To piggy back the first post, does anyone know if a G29 frontend would work on a G22? has anyone tried it? I have access to one and was thinking about trying it.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most of the front end parts (knuckle, control arms, etc) are the same between a G22 & G29/Drive, BUT I think the spring rates are different. The coil overs for a Drive are softer.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Eng003
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Is it possible to use the coils from the G22? Like swap them from the 22 to the 29 to help with that?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've never had the inclination to try it, but it's probably possible. The problem I see is that the G29 weight distribution is skewed more to the rear making it light in the front end. They tend to kind of skip and float a bit as it is. Particularly when there are people on back seats they will pull the inside front tire off the ground even in fairly slow corners. I would think giving them a stiffer spring on the front might make it handle worse rather than better.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
Eng003
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

So I'm thinking I just need to pony up and get a long arm kit from jakes if these shocks I picked up don't work. Probably the safest, best looking, and reliable way to go. Thanks for you post and talking me into doing the right fix
Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/Jake_...Kit_p/7053.htm

Good price...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #8
Eng003
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

New front shocks, well new to me, and an alignment and she's good to go! Posted is the problem shock and the replacement. Thanks for the responses to this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4107.jpg (319.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4106.jpg (312.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4162.jpg (380.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha