lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Newbie questions & pics

I see I'm not the only one on here with a homemade lift. ive got the same issue with the front. if possible post some more pics of it for me. I have 25 inch tires and had to massage behind the front wheel well with a hammer and use wheel spacers.

I got mine for free with no start issues. My harness was fubar. I found one on here and got it up and going. I also had to put in a known good starter generator.

First things first, check and clean all cables from battery, starter and solenoids. the stock ones have steel ends and corrode causing issues. clean or replace all cable ends.
I think the key switches are also know area of problems. I found a good replacement on ebay. Also crank seals will give you fits. they will lean out the fuel and cause hard starting, mine where shot.

Clean and or replace the carb, they are cheap on ebay also, but try and get yours clean before replacement. I think a tune up kit with carb is like 35 ish bucks. carb, plug and air filter.

Do all these basic things and I'm betting she will run good!
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #12
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

The second engine is either a robin 295 or 350
Alex Faught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Faught View Post
is that engine a 2 stoke? if so will it run in reverse?

I thought it was a Lifan 250 but I really have no clue.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

It is a four stroke twin. The black top cover is the valve cover. I am not sure as to whether they run in reverse or not.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #15
Unicon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the Reply Mike! The crank seal is a great suggestion & will order new. Was going to do that when did engine rebuild, but your probably right on about the hard starts & i know there must be leaks down there anyway judging from the 1/4" of grease that covered everything before powerwashing. I have been mainly focused on the wiring and am starting to replace as needed although so far when metering out everything, all seems to be doing as it should from what i understand (Starter, coils, ignition switch etc.) It turns over very strongly and is always right on the verge of running. Put in a new plug yesterday but have not jumped the arch to ground yet, but that is next. Ended up focusing on fuel system & pump. At this point since i am installing new carb & pump, i will probably eliminate the oil mix system & go with premix as well. Also wondering is there any disadvantage to not using the air box and just running a standard air filter as in picture? I live in AZ and most off roading consists of a lot of dust & the oil / air filter seems like a recipe for air flow issues.. Maybe use it as a storage box for fuses, tools etc instead? lol Will take and post a bunch more pictures of my front end soon. I think that will be an area that is my most challenging & look forward to getting any advice from anyone
Unicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #16
Unicon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Faught View Post
Thanks Alex will look into.. All i really know is that it is suppose to line up with exisiting drive & that yes its a 2 cylinder.. Only 2 cycles can run in reverse so rear end would have to get converted to something with reverse gearing in it. I have not even began to explore that route and probably won't. Previous owner said little about it other then it was brand new, (looks like it was never ran after careful inspection from what i can tell) and "It wasn't cheap". Perhaps i should post it in the sale forum..
Unicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #17
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicon View Post
Hi everyone, bought this buggie and am looking to revive its potential. Spent many hours already reading and learning from this site. What a great forum! I am hoping to get advice, suggestions & critiques from anyone willing. It has been sitting for almost a year and previous owner was going to put a new engine in it, but had to many other projects going and never got to it. Turned over nicely but will not run. Wanted to first get it running so can drive and get a feel for whats all wrong & upgrades needed, not to mention how i would like to customize for my needs / style as i have never even driven one. To try and get it started, i eliminated some of the basics quickly. So far only installed new fuel filter, air filter & plug but no go..Replacing the Carb & fuel pump next. Compression tests give me between 115-120 readings.. Cart sits very nicely & currently is running 25x10-12's in the rear & 25x8-12's in the front Will try and document with pics on my journey.. The only serial#'s i can find is on the motor that read S215-044082, i've tried researching exactly what year & model this is but all i could come up with is early to mid 1980's G1, so any help with that would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!! Here is an overview pic.
Serial # is stamped under rear bumper or curved part of frame towards rear.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #18
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would possibly be interested in the motor if you were interested in selling it
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #19
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicon View Post
Thanks Alex will look into.. All i really know is that it is suppose to line up with exisiting drive & that yes its a 2 cylinder.. Only 2 cycles can run in reverse so rear end would have to get converted to something with reverse gearing in it. I have not even began to explore that route and probably won't. Previous owner said little about it other then it was brand new, (looks like it was never ran after careful inspection from what i can tell) and "It wasn't cheap". Perhaps i should post it in the sale forum..
Yes, you would need a fnr rear end for the swap or be without reverse. I would sell it if it is in the condition you say it is. It would help you coup back some of the money you are spending on the project. As mentioned previously, I would change the crank seals. Not only will they affect it's performance, a leaking seal will cause it to run lean and can cause damage if not caught in time. Also, unless the carb is damaged, I would clean it up instead of buying a new one. I actually have a g1 that I have to get running after I finish my cushman.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #20
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm unsure on the effect of the air filter type you have posted. the stock filter and box do seem to be restrictive but weather its designed this way or even if jetting would be needed I'm unsure.

I removed the injection pump off the engine and made a block off plate out of a piece of aluminum. Thought of using the oil tank as a reserve tank but haven't done it yet. I premix mine at 50:1 with VP synthetic oil and rec fuel. I never see smoke but I do smell it time to time. That's something for you to read on and do as you see fit. I did this because while the engine has good compression it is old and wanted the extra lubrication for the old bottom end.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha