lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
kauai808
Not Yet Wild

Default g16 needs primary turned by hand to start.

My g16 recently had starting issues. I press on the gas peddle and nothing. I need to press the pedal and turn the primary by hand then it will start to turn over. Then I can get into cart and it will work fine for awhile until I let it sit and then it might do the same thing. Not sure its related but it doesn't run at top speed as well as it used to but it might be from sitting for awhile. Also I here more of a tick sound coming from somewhere. Haven't pinpointed that yet.

Any thoughts on what it might be and where I should start checking? thanks.
kauai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: g16 needs primary turned by hand to start.

Starter brushes
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Mine does this, neg battery cable gets hot when trying to start, I took a jumper cable and hooked it directly to the gen post and it started. I'm gonna someday replace battery wires and gen brushes
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Be sure the battery is fully charged, then have it load tested. If that checks ok, check the battery terminals and connectors for cleanliness/tightness. (The cable that is buried in the lead battery terminal has been known to become corroded). These are the "free" tests and should be done first before digging in to the starter. Good luck - RAY

PS - A weakness (weak battery, poor connections, brushes, solenoid) somewhere in the high current starting circuit will not allow the starter/gen. to push the engine through the compression stroke. Once you help it, momentum will allow it to roll through. After you run it a while, the battery charges enough to overcome the weakness.

Last edited by bigstik40; 06-08-2017 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: added info.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
kauai808
Not Yet Wild

Thanks people! Gonna try to dig into it tomorrow.
kauai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha