lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Default 99 Club Car Carryall Gas---Best Replacement Battery?

The current battery is an AutoCraft Group 75, 550 CCA.

It hasnt been holding a charge anymore and needs replacing.
Wally has an Everstart 75 550 for only 50 bucks.

Think that will suffice for a few years???? Only thing i really have extra on the cart is headlights a few small led strips and a stereo receiver.....but honestly havent even used any of those functions in forever.

50 bucks do the trick? Suggestions !?? Thanks
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 99 Club Car Carryall Gas---Best Replacement Battery?

The walmart batteries are not known for reliability. Might be OK for a few years, but the ones I've had experience with (mostly in cars/trucks) have usually had cell failures in a year or two. I know they sell a ton of those, and the ones that I see fail are a small percentage, but I cringe whenever I see one in someones car.
I've been using Deka brand group 70 batteries in mine for several years and have not had any problems yet with those, but these are not under heavy usage. Mostly they run the cart, and occasionally a head lamp at night. No stereos or anything like that on my carts. I've been getting those for around $80 though.

Make sure your starter generator is charging properly.
You want somewhere around 14 to 14.5v output at full throttle. Replace the battery first before testing because an old dieing battery can cause the output to be higher or lower and give a false reading.
Also make sure cable ends are clean and tight. No corrosion or rust. And make sure the battery ground cable is clean where it connects to the frame.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

"Best" I'd say Optima red top. No question, but you're gonna pay for it. $$$ that's one battery that you can use, abuse, and itll keep going.

I ran one of the $50 walmart neverstart batteries in my Mazda for years with no problems.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Went the cheap route. It was definitely dead but the “other problem”still persists.
Sometimes the engine goes right after a second or two and then other times it’ll take 15-25 seconds it seems in either F or R. Doesn’t seem to matter whether engine is warmed up or not. Sometimes choke helps.
Just wish it would go right when the pedal was pressed.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Lots of club cars do that. Can be a multitude of things. First I'd check the wire from B+ to solenoid, and solenoid to starter/generator. Make sure the wires are good, not melted, clean, etc. And make sure the ground strap in the starter/generator is clean also. Up above it where it ground to the frame, doesnt hurt to pull it off, hit it with a little sandpaper and clean that contact point. And as FT4M said, make sure the ground connection from the battery itself is good and clean and solid.

Bad connections cause voltage drop and can cause it to struggle to get past the compression stroke. My last carryall was doing it really bad. I replaced the wires and cleaned all the connections and it was 90% better. Still did it every now and then but before it was 8 times out if 10. After that it was 1 out of every 10 starts, if that much.

Could also be starter/generator brushes worn. Or just a worn out starter in general. Check the brushes, just pull the rubber rectangle cover off the S/G and note how far the brush sticks out of the holder. If it is inside the holder with none of the brush sticking out the back, they're definitely worn.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Didn't make it to the solenoid today but sanded and cleaned frame grounds contact points and grounds at the battery and at the starter.

The lines/markings on the brushes make it seem like there should be a little bit of life left but the one brush has a chunk missing chipped/broke off.Tried running it again after sanding/cleaning everything today but it did not make any noticeable difference.

Is it very likely that its because that chunk of the brush is chipped off?...Thoughts? thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Lots of club cars do that. Can be a multitude of things. First I'd check the wire from B+ to solenoid, and solenoid to starter/generator. Make sure the wires are good, not melted, clean, etc. And make sure the ground strap in the starter/generator is clean also. Up above it where it ground to the frame, doesnt hurt to pull it off, hit it with a little sandpaper and clean that contact point. And as FT4M said, make sure the ground connection from the battery itself is good and clean and solid.

Bad connections cause voltage drop and can cause it to struggle to get past the compression stroke. My last carryall was doing it really bad. I replaced the wires and cleaned all the connections and it was 90% better. Still did it every now and then but before it was 8 times out if 10. After that it was 1 out of every 10 starts, if that much.

Could also be starter/generator brushes worn. Or just a worn out starter in general. Check the brushes, just pull the rubber rectangle cover off the S/G and note how far the brush sticks out of the holder. If it is inside the holder with none of the brush sticking out the back, they're definitely worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter1.jpg (163.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Inkedbrush1_LI.jpg (119.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Inkedbrush2_LI.jpg (79.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

hard to tell if there's a chunk missing or not, but regardless it would not affect anything in the back of it like that. and looks like there's plenty of life left in those brushes. When they're worn they will be inside the square thing they slide into (the holder).

For a 99 I would say they've definitely been replaced before.

Given they've been replaced before, if cleaning all the wiring and ensuring those are all good doesn't make any difference. With a new battery also, I'd lean towards the S/G just being worn out. That is an OEM S/G and they do last a very long time. That one is 20+ years old... I don't remember if those use the bando or hitachi back then, it may have been changed at some point.

Check voltage at the S/G itself while cranking and see what kind of drop you have compared to the battery voltage while cranking.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
frankthetank
Gone Wild

I will still check the solenoid and wires tomorrow. Does that make a huge difference at the solenoid?

My bad with the photo.....it does look like a rat chewed that hole part off or like a broken butterfinger bar:-)

And could you suggest a good replacement S/G?
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
hard to tell if there's a chunk missing or not, but regardless it would not affect anything in the back of it like that. and looks like there's plenty of life left in those brushes. When they're worn they will be inside the square thing they slide into (the holder).

For a 99 I would say they've definitely been replaced before.

Given they've been replaced before, if cleaning all the wiring and ensuring those are all good doesn't make any difference. With a new battery also, I'd lean towards the S/G just being worn out. That is an OEM S/G and they do last a very long time. That one is 20+ years old... I don't remember if those use the bando or hitachi back then, it may have been changed at some point.

Check voltage at the S/G itself while cranking and see what kind of drop you have compared to the battery voltage while cranking.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

When it "doesn't go" do you hear it doing anything from the starter generator?
if its a regular thing then you should flip the seat up and see if the S/G is turning when it does this. If the belt is worn out, or not the correct belt, the S/G pulley can slip and not turn the engine over.

The belt has to sit down all the way in the grooves of the pulley. If it sticks up out of the top of the pulley it's not making full contact and it will slip no matter how tight you make it.
Most aftermarket belts are too wide to fit properly, so if it's not an OEM belt, get one from Revolution Golf Cars.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #10
frankthetank
Gone Wild

I will take another look tomorrow with the bed up. Off the top of my head there is no noise at all though. Just step on the pedal and twiddle my thumbs for 1 to 30 seconds forward or reverse seriously different each and every time. But whenever it goes it goes fine. Just the getttin there part that sucks. I can try a video tomorrow too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
When it "doesn't go" do you hear it doing anything from the starter generator?
if its a regular thing then you should flip the seat up and see if the S/G is turning when it does this. If the belt is worn out, or not the correct belt, the S/G pulley can slip and not turn the engine over.

The belt has to sit down all the way in the grooves of the pulley. If it sticks up out of the top of the pulley it's not making full contact and it will slip no matter how tight you make it.
Most aftermarket belts are too wide to fit properly, so if it's not an OEM belt, get one from Revolution Golf Cars.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car