lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2020, 04:41 AM   #1
Gvachon15
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 has solenoid

I picked up a 1988 club car gas model. The solenoid was not working so I replaced it with another one. Now when I turn the key on the cart starts turning over without touching the gas pedal. I am new to club car but have worked on a couple of yamah g1. All the switches under the seat function property when compressed or depressed as I checked those with a multi meter. Th cart will start in neutral and run but not in any other gear. And when running if you shift to forward It stalls. Am I missing a switch somewhere? I hooked the solenoid up as it was previously. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gvachon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1988 has solenoid

If it turns the starter without pressing the pedal either the cart has been converted to "key start" on purpose, or the microswitches are NOT hooked up correctly. The starting only in neutral is the "maintenance" function that allows working on the engine without having to chase the cart down the road. There is a round plastic "cam" on the back side of the shifter that contacts those microswitches as the shifter is moved. It is spring loaded. Gently pull it toward the engine and turn the cam 180 degrees and settle it back into position. by contacting the microswitches differently it should then start and run only in forward or reverse but NOT in neutral.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
Gvachon15
Not Yet Wild

Can you tell from these pictures if the micro switches are hooked up correctly? and verify the connections on the solenoid? The cart has been messed with since they had the fuel pump put back together wrong. this is the old solenoid. I have replaced it with a brand new one from Napa and that is when it started turning over on its own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neautral switch.jpg (136.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg throttle switch.jpg (96.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The wiring looks correct for those switches, but that rear facing switch only controls if it starts in neutral or in gear (the switch closest to the body just turns on the reverse beeper). The "pedal start" is through a switch in the control box, by the solenoid. When you say you got the solenoid at NAPA I suspect it may be wrong. Automotive starter solenoids (Ford?) LOOK the same but won't last at all in a golf cart. Automotive starter solenoids are momentary contact. They only stay engaged for the few seconds it takes to start the engine. In a golf cart the solenoid HAS TO be a continuous duty type. The solenoid has to stay engaged the entire time the engine is running. It conducts power to the starter to get the engine going then conducts power from the generator back to the battery to keep it charged.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:53 AM   #5
Gvachon15
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for that information. I knew the solenoid stayed open so the generator could recharge the battery I just thought a solenoid was a solenoid. I changed the solenoid with a heavy duty continues duty and removed the cart from maintenance mode and it works great!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car