lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Keepinitoldskool
Not Yet Wild

Default Need tips for testing generator 2014 presidente

howdy,
Generator quit charging, verified with a volt meter. Vehicle runs fine if the battery has juice.

Does anyone have a diagram for this year?
Some testing tips would be fine too.
I suspect the wiring is damaged due to other things I've found from the previous "mechanic" like slicing wire insulation and taping an extra wire to them 😳

But this generator has at least 5 wires going to it.
I want to figure out if it's the generator, regulator, or wiring.
Keepinitoldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Keepinitoldskool
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need tips for testing generator 2014 presidente

if I ground DF I get no increase (11.9v) until I hit the rev limiter and it jumps to 16-17 volts with a slight high pitched whine the whole time
Old 05-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
Crazylegs
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That sounds like regulator to me
Crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
Keepinitoldskool
Not Yet Wild

I put a new generator in this, I'm not convinced it's charging. Customer sourced the part and did not get a regulator as I recommended.

I have A1 jumped to F1.
F2 Has the white wire to the solenoid NO terminal.
A2 has the black wire which goes to battery ground.

The white wire is factory spliced into the red wire to the regulator. 0 volts when off, only 2.7v when running. All connections are tight and clean.

Something seems off to me, never see anything above battery voltage at the battery when running.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Regulator is the most common no charge issue
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepinitoldskool View Post
I put a new generator in this, I'm not convinced it's charging. Customer sourced the part and did not get a regulator as I recommended.

I have A1 jumped to F1.
F2 Has the white wire to the solenoid NO terminal.
A2 has the black wire which goes to battery ground.

The white wire is factory spliced into the red wire to the regulator. 0 volts when off, only 2.7v when running. All connections are tight and clean.

Something seems off to me, never see anything above battery voltage at the battery when running.
Red wire for the regulator should be attached to the solenoid NO post with the white cable. This is 12v supply to the regulator so it is powered Off when the solenoid opens. You do need 12v supply to the regulator for it to work properly.

The Yellow wire from the regulator should go to the small DF terminal on the SG. This is the field current wire to control voltage output. If you ground the DF terminal to case/chassis and run the engine to full rpm you should see voltage increase to over 15v output. This would show the SG is good, and the regulator is either wired incorrectly, has a bad connection to + or -, or the regulator is bad.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
Keepinitoldskool
Not Yet Wild

Ok so this time I tried something different.
In order to eliminate the solenoid as the issue I ran it with everything hooked up as I found it. No charge.

I hooked the NO white straight to battery, starter spins, pressed the pedal and it fires up, no charge.

I disconnect DF terminal, hook up a cable to ground, touch white NO straight to positive, i get unregulated voltage increase over 15v.

Reconnect NO white to the NO terminal of the solenoid, leave the ground to the DF, I get a bunch of whine from the generator when I press the pedal and it runs but no charge.

Wtf
Old 05-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
Keepinitoldskool
Not Yet Wild

should the regulator be fed from the NO terminal or constant power or switched ignition? Right now it's tapped to NO?

Also the solenoid doesn't have any labels on it. The small terminals have an orange and a blue wire on them, not sure if it matters but could it be installed backwards?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Regulator gets power when the solenoid closes. The Red for the regulator should go to the same large post as the white cable for the SG. This is so the regulator is only powered while the cart is running.

If you ground the DF terminal and get no increase in voltage, the SG is at fault and will need to be tested further. Most likely the brushes are worn out or stuck. Those are inexpensive to fix, but it will need to be taken apart to verify.
The rubber covers on the end can be removed for inspection of the brushes.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Ive never seen brushes be the culprit for a non charging starter. bad field for me has been the culprit 100 percent of the time.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, gas, presidente
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car