lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Carburetor Bowl Vent Hose?

I drive my carts (a 1987 and a 1990 gas Club Cars) in the woods and through a creek on a regular basis. Every once in awhile, when the creek is higher than normal due to rain, the cart motor will stall out in mid-stream. Once this happens I just have to sit there for about 2-4 minutes and then it will fire back up and we drive off. It doesn't happen every time I drive in high water, but it happens probably half of the time. I'm 80% sure what is happening is that water sometimes splashes up into the end of the carburetor vent hose that hangs down from the carb. Has anyone ever had an issue with their cart stalling out in high water? I'd like to do something with the hose that will ensure that it won't take in water and stall out my motor.

Unless of course I'm wrong and the vent hose isn't the issue.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Carburetor Bowl Vent Hose?

I would bet it's the ignitor. Not sure if the kf82 has an external one like the older FE290's but any time my carryall gets up to the floor in water, it's enough for the ignitor together wet and kill it for a few minutes. Once it dries back off it fires up just fine. Same thing happens when I wash it too. I'd check when it dies next and see if you've got spark

I'm sure I could relocate it up higher on the engine, but I rarely drive in any kind of water so it's not a big deal to me.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I don't think I've ever been in floorboard-deep water. When I say high... "high" to me is water just barely lapping the bottom of the engine cradle...lol And it doesn't happen every time. I'm thinking it has to be something splashing up. When I put my finger over that vent hose, the cart does stall out.

As far as the ignitor goes, the ignitor coils on the KF82s are tucked up back behind the upper backside of the flywheel, and there's a cover/fascia over all of it. I would think that they wouldn't be exposed to enough water to shut them down in my situation, but it's something to think about. I'll bring my spark tester with me next time I go out and the water is "high".

And I don't even drive fast through the creek. I try to creep as best I can, but it's bumpy so there's always some inevitable splashing.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:25 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I don't think I've ever been in floorboard-deep water. When I say high... "high" to me is water just barely lapping the bottom of the engine cradle...lol And it doesn't happen every time. I'm thinking it has to be something splashing up. When I put my finger over that vent hose, the cart does stall out.

As far as the ignitor goes, the ignitor coils on the KF82s are tucked up back behind the upper backside of the flywheel, and there's a cover/fascia over all of it. I would think that they wouldn't be exposed to enough water to shut them down in my situation, but it's something to think about.

And I don't even drive fast through the creek. I try to creep as best I can, but it's bumpy so there's always some inevitable splashing.
I guess what I meant by floorboard is bottom.of the rockers, not actually up to the floor. I did it once turning around in a flooded parking lot and that was it for me. Suddenly I became flintstone powered but on the FE the ignitor (when external) is at the bottom kf the engine just above the drain plug. I wasnt sure about the kf82

Are there any other electronics that may get wet at that level? Kill circuit or anything? Just something to check. I've had a lot of machines, and lots of 4wheelers. Unless I've submerged the carb underwater or blasted it with a pressure washer I've never gotten anything in the vent tube. You could always eliminate that possibility easily by sticking a piece of vacuum line on it and routing it up high and out of the way.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

The only electric thing down that low that may at times get submerged is the oil level sending unit, which I wouldn't expect to be able to stall out the cart.

I did tie the vent hose up higher than it was before, but I wasn't sure if there was a reason that it needed to hang straight down vertically for draining purposes.

Now, just three days after I did that, I seem to have a stuck valve or something and the cart won't run. The cart is pumping fuel at the carb inlet, and I have spark, but the motor isn't drawing fuel into the chamber now (plug is dry after cranking). And when it cranks, it feels like it has zero compression. When it first wouldn't run yesterday afternoon it sounded like it was cranking normally...but then something happened and then the motor just started sounding like it wasn't building any compression. No clanking, rattling, or anything sounding broken, just sounds like no pressure (I don't have a compression tester so I can't say for sure, but it sure sounds like there's no pressure).

Maybe it's just a coincidence that I tied the hose up and now this issue has arisen. I'm not sure. Maybe I ran it too rich and gunked up the chamber? But the cart ran normally and didn't have any drivability issues before stalling out.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I've only had 1 cart with the kf82 and it "just quit" on the previous owner (city). So it sat until it went to surplus auction. I expected to have to rebuild the motor so pulled the head, and one of the valves wasnt closing all the way. Just barely stuck open, but enough that it had no compression. I pulled it out, and it was ever soooo slightly bent it was hanging up. So I lightly tapped it back to straight, put it back in and thing immediately fired up and ran great. Had about 110psi compression if I remember correctly. I ran it for a couple months and it never had a problem again.

I have no idea what caused it to bend, but it was very very slight. I'd be curious to see if yours did the same
Old 06-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

It was the plastic cam gear that let loose. Gear spinning on the shaft but not turning the camshaft:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYJ6Du-t7OY

It was a camshaft that had it's gear re-set to the shaft with bolts. Bolts are all laying down in the bottom of the crankcase:

Luckily I have an extra camshaft so I've already fixed it.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I did tie the vent hose up higher than it was before, but I wasn't sure if there was a reason that it needed to hang straight down vertically for draining purposes.
The carb vent is only to keep vapor pressure from air locking the bowl. If pressure builds in the bowl new fuel can't get in to keep it full until the level drops below the main jet. At which point the engine will suck fumes rather than liquid fuel.

The vent hose mostly hangs down because of gravity, but hanging down does keep water from going UP the hose and then getting into the carb. I would be more worried about water getting into the rear axle or transmission, than getting into the carb.

More likely your water/stall issue is spark related. If the flywheel fan gets near enough to water to suck any into the air shroud, it will fling water all over the place as soon as it touches.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me
More likely your water/stall issue is spark related. If the flywheel fan gets near enough to water to suck any into the air shroud, it will fling water all over the place as soon as it touches.
Thanks for the info. Next time the water stalls me out out I'm going to have my spark tester with me to confirm. If I know that's what's happening I may fashion some kind of skidplate-style shield that keeps the water from splashing up into the flywheel.

One thing that I'm thinking about now that you mentioned the flywheel slinging water is that when the cart stalls, it always stalls when the creek water is running right-to-left. But when I'm returning from a ride coming back the opposite direction, the water is running left-to-right and I've never stalled out in that direction. Maybe the water is getting in behind the fascia/flywheel cover from the back side when I first cross at the beginning of my ride, but the water flow is blocked/redirected by the fascia on the way back.

Tags
hose, stalling, water
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car