lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart still stalling...

Hey guys...

Last night I installed a new OEM Kawasaki ignition coil as my cart was stalling after 10 minutes of getting hot. I ruled out the rev limiter as I discovered it wasn't even connected! So once the new ignition coil was installed I reconnected the rev limiter and all was well.

Today we took it around the neighborhood, and after 10 minutes or so, it started stalling again.

I put it in service mode, pushed down on the pedal and noticed I wasn't hearing the solenoid click. I then put it in reverse and then back again, and it started up.

Could it be the solenoid or something else related to coil or rev limiter????

In addition to the coil, over the past couple months I've installed a new starter generator, battery, voltage regulator, carburetor, spark plug, fuel filters and microswitches.

Any help you can provide is appreciated as I'm at my wits end with this cart.
ooshnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cart still stalling...

Somebody? Anybody???
I ordered a new solenoid today just in case.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Somebody? Anybody???

I ordered a new solenoid today just in case.
I would disconnect the rev. Limiter.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

I would if my kids weren't the primary drivers of the darn thing. I can't trust them not to run it too high.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Can you better describe what you were doing when it stalled?
A bad solenoid would prevent starting, but will not cause it to shut off while driving.
A bad rev limiter will cause it to shut off while driving. If that was disconnected before, disconnect it again and see if that problem goes away.

If the solenoid failed that would just be coincidental.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #6
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Can you better describe what you were doing when it stalled?
A bad solenoid would prevent starting, but will not cause it to shut off while driving.
A bad rev limiter will cause it to shut off while driving. If that was disconnected before, disconnect it again and see if that problem goes away.

If the solenoid failed that would just be coincidental.
thanks for you response. I replaced the solenoid today to no avail. I took it out again tonight and got some videos that show what it's doing. It seemed to happen more regularly tonight after about minutes of driving and going up hills. i have not disconnected the rev limiter yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rdBJ3RbBAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2UV7fEdHYU
Old 08-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ok two things. Maybe three.

One disconnect the rev limiter. That can cause strange issues with loss of spark. You're having an intermittent loss of either spark or fuel, and since it starts right back up and drives away you would not be able to test much and find a failure.

Two, look for a small hose coming off the top of the carb towards the front of the engine, it should drop down somewhere in front and just kinda hang there. Quite often it's just gone. If the hose is still there, make sure the end of it is not plugged up with dirt or a bug nest.
If it's not there, look close at the carb on the front just below the throttle lever, there will be an open port that sticks out about 1/2". Make sure it's not clogged with dirt and/or crud or a bug nest. That port is the vent for the carb bowl, and if it gets clogged or blocked, the bowl will vapor lock and will not allow fuel flow into the carb and it will act almost exactly the way your cart is acting.

Third would be to just pull the carb off and clean it out. Possibly the float is getting stuck, or there is debris blocking the fuel inlet into the carb, so it's running out of fuel after you drive it a bit.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Subscribed.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #9
1arunem
Gone Wild

Are you sure it's spark related? I had one do something similar. It would stall out at about the same point every time when riding in my neighborhood.

Ended up being a bit of crud in the fuel pick up line in the tank. I cleaned it out and it solved the issue.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #10
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Ok two things. Maybe three.

One disconnect the rev limiter. That can cause strange issues with loss of spark. You're having an intermittent loss of either spark or fuel, and since it starts right back up and drives away you would not be able to test much and find a failure.

Two, look for a small hose coming off the top of the carb towards the front of the engine, it should drop down somewhere in front and just kinda hang there. Quite often it's just gone. If the hose is still there, make sure the end of it is not plugged up with dirt or a bug nest.
If it's not there, look close at the carb on the front just below the throttle lever, there will be an open port that sticks out about 1/2". Make sure it's not clogged with dirt and/or crud or a bug nest. That port is the vent for the carb bowl, and if it gets clogged or blocked, the bowl will vapor lock and will not allow fuel flow into the carb and it will act almost exactly the way your cart is acting.

Third would be to just pull the carb off and clean it out. Possibly the float is getting stuck, or there is debris blocking the fuel inlet into the carb, so it's running out of fuel after you drive it a bit.
All good advice but I'm afraid there's no change. I disconnected the rev limiter, took off the carb, opened it and found it to be all clean. the hose and ports on the carb you mentioned are clean too.

A weird thing I noticed is that The stalling only seems to happen while driving it. While parked in service mode, it will run no problem. i placed a heavy rock on the gas pedal and it ran for over 10 minutes non-stop.

Here's a new video, keep in mind it's pretty much shows the same thing. one thing you can't see is that during the video i'm constantly pushing up and down on the pedal until finally it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGnecGqRZMI
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car