lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #11
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Clutch Rattle

Ok I took my drive clutch off and inspected the moving parts inside. I'm fairly certain that these clutch fingers are making noise. They seem pretty wore out. I already ordered a new clutch as this one will need not only new weights and fingers, but a new idler bearing as well. Check out this video I took (just click on the text at the top of the box that says "YouTube"). I narrated it and everything. Took it with a GoPro camera mounted to my ball cap:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2020, 11:23 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yeah those weights are toast. Ready for some new ones. The center bearing is done as well.
Often the thrust washer can just be flipped over and re-used, but if it’s been flipped before then it would need to be replaced as well. By then you’re over $150 in parts for a rebuild. A new clutch is in the $150 range for the cheapo ones and they seem to work well enough to get a few years worth of use from them.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #13
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Thanks FT. Yeah this clutch needs too many parts to make it worthwhile to rebuild at this point. Going to make another video on swapping the pulley and using the ‘97+ clutch on the older carts since there doesn’t seem to be many options for people with 1984-1996 carts who need drive clutches and aren’t on forums every day like this one to know what their options are.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Thanks FT. Yeah this clutch needs too many parts to make it worthwhile to rebuild at this point. Going to make another video on swapping the pulley and using the ‘97+ clutch on the older carts since there doesn’t seem to be many options for people with 1984-1996 carts who need drive clutches and aren’t on forums every day like this one to know what their options are.
On my 93 I couldn't find an older style, so I bought a 97+ clutch. I just swapped the S/G pulley because it was a different size and bolted it on. Never had a single problem.

I pulled apart the original OEM 93 clutch side by side with an OEM 97+ clutch. Comparing them right next to each other, i could not find any discernable difference that would give any reason why they are not interchangeable so I just bolted it on and ran it as it came out of the box. Works great
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Awesome. Yeah I think a YouTube video explaining this would be a good resource to have out there. If I didn't know anything about golf carts, and just bought a pre-1997 gas Club Car and needed a drive clutch, I would have a pretty hard time figuring out what to do.

FedEx tracking says that the new clutch will be at my door today.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #16
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Just found the "1988-up" drive clutch on Buggies Unlimited. It's currently "clearance" priced at $454.95 (down from $699.95 regular price). What a racket. But they're not the only ones selling these clutches in that range, there are a handful of others.

https://www.buggiesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=6838

Old 04-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #17
gwunited2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did a new clutch solve the rattling problem? My cart is rattling horribly. When you let off the gas, it almost goes away. Once you give it gas, it rattles again.
gwunited2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yes it worked for me. My rattle was more pronounced when NOT under load. For example, when driving up a hill it would never rattle. But hit a flat or slight downslope and it would rattle.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #19
gwunited2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Yes it worked for me. My rattle was more pronounced when NOT under load. For example, when driving up a hill it would never rattle. But hit a flat or slight downslope and it would rattle.

Sounds a lot like what mine is doing. Thanks a lot.
gwunited2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belt, clutch, drive, driven, rattle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car