lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
Summerwood
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 90 club car gas

Hello everyone. Been awhile since I last started a thread. I just acquired a 1990 club car gas. This is the first time for a gas cart for me. It has a “club car” motor? It has a fuel gauge on dash. The cart is trashed. But actually works! Has dirty fuel filters air filter I’m assuming has never been changed along with oil. But the motor starts n runs quietly. It is a 4 seater with trunk. I’m seriously thinking of selling my 90 electric that I built from ground up. And rebuilding this gas. Is there anything I need to know? Pros n cons. Anything special or real expensive to replace and to look for? Do you think this is wise. I am most happy when I’m tooling in the garage on somthing. So I figured I’d use some of the $ from the sale of the electric, to dump into the gas. Hope all is well, Stay Safe..
Summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 90 club car gas

If you plan to haul 3 or 4 adults on a regular basis, and live in a moderately hilly area and drive off-pavement, you'll probably get frustrated with the stock motor. It works great for just one person, maybe two, but any more than that and it really bogs down on hills. *edit I see you live in Florida, so hilly terrain may not be an issue for you.

Good news is that the pre-1996 gas carts are prime candidates for motor upgrades as they're counter-clockwise oriented. I'm gathering parts now for a Predator 420 swap (13hp) in either my 1990 cart or my 1987 cart this winter.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Summerwood
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
If you plan to haul 3 or 4 adults on a regular basis, and live in a moderately hilly area and drive off-pavement, you'll probably get frustrated with the stock motor. It works great for just one person, maybe two, but any more than that and it really bogs down on hills. *edit I see you live in Florida, so hilly terrain may not be an issue for you.

Good news is that the pre-1996 gas carts are prime candidates for motor upgrades as they're counter-clockwise oriented. I'm gathering parts now for a Predator 420 swap (13hp) in either my 1990 cart or my 1987 cart this winter.
Thanks for the reply. Yes there are NO hills here. (I wish) and will be driven on pavement. I’m even thinking of going against the grain and lowering it, instead of hieght. I think I can achieve a so called bad *** look. LOL if the compression is good on this motor, then all I’ll do is tweak it. I just wanted to know if there were anything that I should look out for. Thanks again. Good luck on your build!
Old 10-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwood View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes there are NO hills here. (I wish) and will be driven on pavement. I’m even thinking of going against the grain and lowering it, instead of hieght. I think I can achieve a so called bad *** look. LOL if the compression is good on this motor, then all I’ll do is tweak it. I just wanted to know if there were anything that I should look out for. Thanks again. Good luck on your build!
On that motor anywhere around 100psi is great. I think spec if I recall correctly is 100 or 110psi, it’s not a high compression motor like the Newer carts are.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Summerwood
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
On that motor anywhere around 100psi is great. I think spec if I recall correctly is 100 or 110psi, it’s not a high compression motor like the Newer carts are.
I’ll let you know what it reads tomorrow night when I get home from work.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

FWIW...

I just sold my gas cart this spring. It was lifted on 24" tires and driven HARD on the road at max speed of about 22mph for 7 years. We hauled the dog around in it...went to the store/beach etc. I had the FE290 motor in it. I know it's a different motor than yours but I can say that if you take care of it you should have plenty of fun. They are really simple and easy to work on and amazingly durable.

I just finished an electric build but now that Vagas Carts has a CW rotation kit for the 670cc motors I'm gonna have to build another gas buggy!
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
Summerwood
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast Kiteboarding View Post
FWIW...

I just sold my gas cart this spring. It was lifted on 24" tires and driven HARD on the road at max speed of about 22mph for 7 years. We hauled the dog around in it...went to the store/beach etc. I had the FE290 motor in it. I know it's a different motor than yours but I can say that if you take care of it you should have plenty of fun. They are really simple and easy to work on and amazingly durable.

I just finished an electric build but now that Vagas Carts has a CW rotation kit for the 670cc motors I'm gonna have to build another gas buggy!

Yeah I think I’m going to sell my electric build I did a year ago, and that will fund this gas one. Thanks for your feedback. Was getting tired of charging the cart twice a month, and worrying about it as it charged for 10 hrs in the garage, now I’ll just have flammable fuel in it. LOL
Old 10-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I always keep a good “finished” cart while I build one. That way I can still cruise in the nice one and not rush to finish the project
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
Summerwood
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Ok, I been real busy they had mandatory overtime at work! So I checked the compr. Cold - 124! I re checked it, 124 again. I then washed two shovel full of dirt n mud from it, blew everything dry and checked again, still 124. I’ll start it later and check it hot. Could this be correct? ??? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I always understood acceptable compression for these flathead motors as between 80-120psi, roughly. If you have 124psi, you're in great shape I'd say.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car