lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
harpojim
Not Yet Wild

Default Recommendation for drive clutch

I have a 95 gas (290) club car that needs the drive clutch replaced. The discs are cupped and from what I read this is an indication the clutch needs replacing.
Here is my question: there are a lot of different aftermarket clutches out there. Can someone recommend one or two that they have had good luck with? I don't need a performance clutch or anything crazy like that just something that will be reliable for regular cart driving on the golf course and around the 55+ community.
Especially you guys that work on carts. You likely know which ones are junk and which ones are at least "ok".
As part of the recommendation if you could list where to purchase that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!!
harpojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
mikes3028
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Recommendation for drive clutch

this is what i put on my 96 CC. so far it has been great. if you put put a driven clutch on it go OEM ONLY. Don't ask me how i know. hope this helps. it came off amazon. i seen you had 2 different part numbers too.

Club Car Gas Golf Cart Drive Clutch DS Precedent Front Clutch Compatible With U5000 RPM 5700 Nivel Metal CP0020 5700
Sold by: bridoif
$129.89
mikes3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I've done videos on these clutches. You can buy a 1997-up drive clutch, swap your starter/generator pulley (if it's a different diameter) from old clutch to new clutch and be on your way. Drive clutches (front clutches) on these Club Cars are non-directional. The only difference you should expect to encounter will be the diameter of the starter-generator pulley bolted onto the back. I've always been a proponent of using the proper diameter pulley that would have come stock on your cart (the one that's likely on your current clutch).

Finding a good, affordable clutch that actually lists for the older carts (1996-older) will probably not be easy. If you do find one it's usually old and might be partially worn out, or it will be from a retailer who will ask upwards of $400 for a new one.

More details here. In the comments I posted a link to the one I bought and used in the video this past September:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55yeRnUqqVs
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Good videos! You're a natural!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’ve also used the cheap Amazon drive clutches with no issues.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I've done videos on these clutches. You can buy a 1997-up drive clutch, swap your starter/generator pulley (if it's a different diameter) from old clutch to new clutch and be on your way. Drive clutches (front clutches) on these Club Cars are non-directional. The only difference you should expect to encounter will be the diameter of the starter-generator pulley bolted onto the back. I've always been a proponent of using the proper diameter pulley that would have come stock on your cart (the one that's likely on your current clutch).

Finding a good, affordable clutch that actually lists for the older carts (1996-older) will probably not be easy. If you do find one it's usually old and might be partially worn out, or it will be from a retailer who will ask upwards of $400 for a new one.

More details here. In the comments I posted a link to the one I bought and used in the video this past September:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55yeRnUqqVs
Very good. We need more video's like this.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Thanks Guys! I hope the original poster found what he was looking for.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
RenoHuskerDu
Getting Wild
Club Car

I would only go OEM on a part like that. There's a guy out here who runs a parts business. He usually responds to posts like this. We've purchased from him often with good results.

David Hicks info@revolutiongolfcars.com
RenoHuskerDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car