lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
Paul15568
Not Yet Wild

Default Dies after getting hot

I have a 2003 Club Car DS gas FE290 engine. Will be driving the cart after about 1.5 to 2 miles the cart will die and not start back cranks over fine but no start. Take the spark plug wire off and put a screwdriver in to test for spar spark is good replace plug wire cart runs fine for another .125 to .250 miles. Last time it died in front of a friends as he was pulling in showed him what it was doing and how it would start back stood there taking for about 10 minutes wouldn’t start again. Did the spark test with the screwdriver put the plug wire back on drove the rest the way home. Any ideas?
Paul15568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Dies after getting hot

My guess is a failing coil or rev limiter.

Try this first
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...Club+car+spark
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
Paul15568
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=CP241;1791630]My guess is a failing coil or rev limiter.

Try this first

Thanks for the suggestion I will try that just may be a few days before I can due to weather and work schedule. I did change the coil last year I know that doesn't mean it didn't go bad though. I will post back with the results.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
Paul15568
Not Yet Wild

Did the recommended test looks like I have a coil issue. I put a new plug in the the coil wire and grounded to the valve cover bolt with the engine cold nice blue spark. Ran it till it died on me checked spark again it was more orange in color Went ahead and and did the microswitch and rev limiter checks that didn't change anything. So it looks like it's in the coil.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
RenoHuskerDu
Getting Wild
Club Car

Coils tend to fail when hot. fyi
RenoHuskerDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul15568 View Post
Did the recommended test looks like I have a coil issue. I put a new plug in the the coil wire and grounded to the valve cover bolt with the engine cold nice blue spark. Ran it till it died on me checked spark again it was more orange in color Went ahead and and did the microswitch and rev limiter checks that didn't change anything. So it looks like it's in the coil.
Make sure when installing the new coil you install it with the correct gap. The specs for your engine is 0.012". I find that using a standard business card is just about the perfect thickness.

While your at it, you might as well install a new spark plug(NGK BP5ES), the gap should be 0.028 - 0.031".

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

More importantly, make sure to use an oem kawasaki coil and not an aftermarket. Unless of course you want to replace it again in a few month.

Www.revolutiongolfcars.com David will hook you up
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car