lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
RedDawg59
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 Turf 2 losing spark

2007 Turf 2 with FE350 engine. Recently started stalling after running a bit. Will die while running. Wait a little while and it will fire back up again. At first I thought it was running rich because I also might get a backfire letting off the gas (new behavior). But nothing I did with the carb affected it. So, next time it happened I quickly unplugged the plug wire and using a spare plug saw it wasn't getting any spark. Cranked on it some more and suddenly after 30 seconds of cranking the spark came back - but it was weak and orange.

I'm more familiar with antique Harley and tractor ignitions with points and condensers. I've started trying to research this but need some direction as I familiarize myself with this ignition system. Is this the ignition coil or is this a function of the RPM limiter? Your help and hints would be most appreciated.

RedDawg
RedDawg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2007 Turf 2 losing spark

Both.

First locate the rpm limiter. It’s below the head on the front of the engine, little box. On the left of it a brown wire will have a ring terminal to a 10mm bolt. Remove that ring terminal and temporarily tape it up and take it for a ride. If this fixes it then the rev limiter is bad. If not then reconnect the wire.

Then to the left of it there’s a wire with a bullet connector near the oil dipstick tube. Disconnect that and take it for a drive. Chances are it won’t make a difference in this scenario but it’s always worth checking. But do note that this is the kill wire and the motor won’t shut back off if it’s disconnected. This wire goes to the microswitches that kill spark when you release the pedal.

If neither of these tests fixes the issue then it’s an ignition coil. It’s a mofo to change, you’ll need to remove the engine from the cart to get to it. It’s located underneath the fan shroud. I would recommend buying a replacement from www.revolutiongolfcars.com so you know you’re getting an oem coil. The aftermarket ones are junk and really aren’t much m, if any cheaper. And you don’t want to have to remove the engine again in a few months when the aftermarket one fails.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #3
RedDawg59
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If neither of these tests fixes the issue then it’s an ignition coil. It’s a mofo to change, you’ll need to remove the engine from the cart to get to it. It’s located underneath the fan shroud. I would recommend buying a replacement from www.revolutiongolfcars.com so you know you’re getting an oem coil. The aftermarket ones are junk and really aren’t much m, if any cheaper. And you don’t want to have to remove the engine again in a few months when the aftermarket one fails.
CP, thanks for the reply. I'll try the steps you suggested. From my research, it seems the most likely culprit is the coil. Pulling the engine doesn't sound like fun. Is there a service manual available for this cart that describes this procedure? Or is this something a backyard mechanic like me shouldn't even attempt? Thanks again for the help.

RedDawg
Old 02-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

50/50 rev limiter or coil. Could be either. Or a simple microswitch.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160310

Give that a read. Your rear end is slightly different so removing the rear engine bolts is a little different (you’ll need to remove the rear clutch to get to one of them) but overall the same.

I’ve done it “once or twice” but I can have the engine removed and on the workbench in under 20 minutes. It’s really not hard.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
RedDawg59
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
50/50 rev limiter or coil. Could be either. Or a simple microswitch.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160310

Give that a read. Your rear end is slightly different so removing the rear engine bolts is a little different (you’ll need to remove the rear clutch to get to one of them) but overall the same.

I’ve done it “once or twice” but I can have the engine removed and on the workbench in under 20 minutes. It’s really not hard.
Appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
RedDawg59
Not Yet Wild

I tried disconnecting the Rev Limiter. Didn't make a difference. Still left me stranded for 10 minutes after a few minutes of riding. My luck strikes again - couldn't be an easy fix. Looks like I'm going to be pulling an engine. CP241, thanks for the help and that other message thread showing engine removal. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Good luck!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car