lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
dan161
Getting Wild

Default destroyed my clutch

OK to start of I know I'm an idiot and I ruined a clutch that was basically in good shape. I have a 90 marathon and I was trying to take the drive clutch apart to clean it. Long story short I have basically ruined it in my attempt to take it apart. Now I have a problem. I think I'm going to have to cut the clutch off in pieces now. So my question is does anybody have any ideas on the best way to cut this clutch of without ruining the crank shaft?

And second off.... what is best to replace this clutch with? I see most vendors have what I'm assuming is the comet clutch for around $240. Is that my best option?
dan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
dan161
Getting Wild

Default Re: destroyed my clutch

I notice CPP carries a different style comet clutch that runs about $285. But I'm not sure its usable on a 2 cycle or not. Just says for 4 cycle with 1inch shaft and 1 3/16 inch belt.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
redcloud
Gone Wild

How did you damage the clutch? Did you use a pulling system to try and remove? A simple bar the right size and a bolt to fit the outer threads would pop the clutch off.
Just interested.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
dan161
Getting Wild

I used a piece of rerod inside clutch but it has mushroomed and now it won't come out past outside threads. The outside threads were rusted really bad so I had a very hard time getting the 3/4 fine thread bolt into it. I had to work it back and forth numerous times to get the bolt into the clutch. The rerod is loose inside the clutch shaft now, but I'm afraid to try any more with it for fear its doing the same thing on the other end and ruining the threads going into the crank. I might be ok if I could figure out how to get the piece of rerod out but nothing has worked so far to do that with. Plus I have 2 out of the 6 bolts that holds the outside cover on that have rounded off, but thats the least of my concerns at this point.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

pack it full of grease, make sure its full,run the bolt back in. hydraulic pressure will push the clutch off.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
justlakinit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

are you using an impact wrench? I used the same method last week and it took some time, but it came off with a good impact wrench. My rod mushroomed and twisted too, but once you get the clutch off, you just push it out the back side.
justlakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
dan161
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvkersh View Post
pack it full of grease, make sure its full,run the bolt back in. hydraulic pressure will push the clutch off.
Are you talking about the bolt used to remove the clutch or the bolt used to hold the clutch on? I'm assuming you mean plug the hole with the big bolt used to remove the clutch. I will give it a try. Can't be out anything I guess.

I'm afraid to keep putting the impact to it. It mushroom about 1/4 or more of the rerod and was starting to get stuck in the hole on the crank shaft also. I want to avoid at all cost ruining the crank at least.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

4 stoke? 295 or 350? it really doesn't matter which but what I have found works for me is a fine thread 3/4 (it came in a really cheap pulley puller setup from autozone) using the pointed adapter towards the crank, before threading into clutch I took a hardened brake caliper bolt and slide that in there first with the allen/hex head facing out the hole. It took me a lot of impacting to get mine to break free the first time I had the clutch off during my engine overhaul. I think I got the pulley puller for around 20.00 (autozones part number is 25053 )
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
dan161
Getting Wild

I'm using the puller bolt from my nice puller set and I have it so it goes in till I run out of threads on clutch. The problem is I have a piece of rerod already in there and it's mushroomed out so now I can't get it back out. In afraid it's smashing into the crank hole also tho because it was stuck in there pretty tight when I pulled the bolt back out. I got it freed but don't want it messing up the joke or threads in the crank.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

run your puller in there until its really tight or you run out of threads and put a piece of wood over the end of the puller and smack it with a big hammer once really good, or don't use the wood and smack the end of the puller, either way your gonna have a lot easier time cleaning up the threads in the end of the crank than you are cutting the clutch off the crank.
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO