lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 84 ez mara gas pops & dies

I have a 84 EZ Mara Robin engine EC25-2PG it runs great then starts stalling, back fires, dies, backfires then sometimes takes off fine or falls flat. I have changed filter. Now it is getting worse, last time out just made it home. Any thoughts? Coil? Also can anyone tell me something about this engine? hp and such. Thanks
letitbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Default Re: 84 ez mara gas pops & dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitbe View Post
I have a 84 EZ Mara Robin engine EC25-2PG it runs great then starts stalling, back fires, dies, backfires then sometimes takes off fine or falls flat. I have changed filter. Now it is getting worse, last time out just made it home. Any thoughts? Coil? Also can anyone tell me something about this engine? hp and such. Thanks
Mine just started that yesterday, it must be catchy. I checked filter and it is OK. I think mine is fuel related. If it is still doing it today I will remove carb and see what is going on.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I thought about the carb, but can't get the nuts off due to engine front and no room for wrench?
Replaced plug, runs fine> falls flat> backfires> takes off> runs fine. Repeats this. I'm thinking electrical as it is seeming to load up causing the backfire. (thoughts?) Does anyone know what the primary and secondary coils are to test at for resistance? Pri= 4.9 , Sec = 12,000 which I'm thinking are both a little high. (thoughts?)
Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
redcloud
Gone Wild

First thing I would do is install new plug. Check the plug wire for good connection into the coil to the plug. Check both grounds from battery to frame and engine. Also make sure you do not have a bad connection at the ground/neg battery terminals to wire, meaning does the voltage get to the wire as it passes through the connection.. Next, check all wires for looseness or faulty connections. Some times if you have a bad wire that works then doesn't it will give backfire as the engine is still sucking fuel in but not spark, then a sudden spark but loaded fuel in muffler that fires giving a backfire. You will have bad running with that symptom also.
If you have exhausted all poss wiring issues I would start to think about the pulser being bad or dirty. Coils usually just fail but there is that variable to consider.
Just few things to start your search for the problem.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
First thing I would do is install new plug. Check the plug wire for good connection into the coil to the plug. Check both grounds from battery to frame and engine. Also make sure you do not have a bad connection at the ground/neg battery terminals to wire, meaning does the voltage get to the wire as it passes through the connection.. Next, check all wires for looseness or faulty connections. Some times if you have a bad wire that works then doesn't it will give backfire as the engine is still sucking fuel in but not spark, then a sudden spark but loaded fuel in muffler that fires giving a backfire. You will have bad running with that symptom also.
If you have exhausted all poss wiring issues I would start to think about the pulser being bad or dirty. Coils usually just fail but there is that variable to consider.
Just few things to start your search for the problem.
First of all, Thanks loads for jumping in!! I found a 85 manual and all is checking out ok. I have a new plug, and filter. ign. coil is within specs, Pri= 3.8(after noticing I had a 1.1 in meter and leads) and Sec = 12,000, carb is looking good as I was able to get it off. The only things I have not been able to check are the pulser and the ignitor coil as the manual says to replace with known good ones. LOL I have known coils when going bad appear to be good but then fail after they warm up. Is the inline item in the oil line between the tank and the injection pump a filter or a check valve?
Old 05-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

never mind this old man is nuts.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

I would lean toward the igniter but you also may have a coil issue. Remove the coil wire cut off 3/4 inch and clean the coil then see what happens. Same thing I would say the igniter is going south.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO