lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What shifts?axel or clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I agree likely the secondary clutch (on the trans). It has torque sensing ramps and spring in it, if the ramps get worn out it will not shift right. You could take it off and see if you can clean and lube it but it may be toast. Only the center shaft gets a little lube don't let it get on the belt whatever you do, so you don't use much.
Thanks I finally got the clutch off it was a PITA. One of the ramps are pretty bad. Going to order the parts tomorrow. I was thinking about getting the 28 deg ramps and helix for more torque. Would I loose top end speed?
dubs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
holmsey2012
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've found a dry graphite spray works best. It doesn't attract as much dirt/dust and lasts longer.
holmsey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most say the 28 deg are not needed with a larger engine than stock. I ground ramps on my yamaha once with stock power it helped it rev faster under load, but never bought different ones. I ran it on my clone until I bought a new one and it worked fine. I would look up some threads about it and see what they say. Some secondary mods are good with big blocks IMO, I have cut sheave and it works great the clone revs much faster on takeoff, tows better too. That does not affect it at speed, and don't know if they have them for ezgo. I also have a umax spring in my clone its a factory HD spring for utility carts. It makes it rev more all the time it never goes under 2500-3K, which is great on the trail but makes more noise at steady lower speeds when you don't need it to rev at all....so depends on what you use the cart for. I drive by some houses at 10mph often and would rather it shifted out, but it is more snappy this way and better on the trail....I'm undecided what to do yet.

Different ramps should not affect top speed as the clutches should still shift out all the way, and that is just a matter of diameter of the sheaves which is still the same.

One last issue I have is with a .050 cut head and 4 degree advance key it will spark knock at low rpm and I don't like to buy special fuel for just the cart. Since the stock clutch drags that will make it knock a second sometimes. But getting new clutch soon that will not do that. What I mean is it might not be a good idea to load the clone to low rpm if you plan to mod it some with compression. I might be better off with this spring and so on, it does work better hardly ever does it now. However ezgo have a spring in the primary that helps a lot likely would not have this issue.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Most say the 28 deg are not needed with a larger engine than stock. I ground ramps on my yamaha once with stock power it helped it rev faster under load, but never bought different ones. I ran it on my clone until I bought a new one and it worked fine. I would look up some threads about it and see what they say. Some secondary mods are good with big blocks IMO, I have cut sheave and it works great the clone revs much faster on takeoff, tows better too. That does not affect it at speed, and don't know if they have them for ezgo. I also have a umax spring in my clone its a factory HD spring for utility carts. It makes it rev more all the time it never goes under 2500-3K, which is great on the trail but makes more noise at steady lower speeds when you don't need it to rev at all....so depends on what you use the cart for. I drive by some houses at 10mph often and would rather it shifted out, but it is more snappy this way and better on the trail....I'm undecided what to do yet.

Different ramps should not affect top speed as the clutches should still shift out all the way, and that is just a matter of diameter of the sheaves which is still the same.

One last issue I have is with a .050 cut head and 4 degree advance key it will spark knock at low rpm and I don't like to buy special fuel for just the cart. Since the stock clutch drags that will make it knock a second sometimes. But getting new clutch soon that will not do that. What I mean is it might not be a good idea to load the clone to low rpm if you plan to mod it some with compression. I might be better off with this spring and so on, it does work better hardly ever does it now. However ezgo have a spring in the primary that helps a lot likely would not have this issue.
Thanks Sho. My 13hp honda is stock other than h.d springs and 8 deg timing key. It runs good but really built this cart for trail riding and more than likely 4 adults and a cooler everytime and pulling a trailer full of people when we go camping. I have 25" tires and 12" wheels they are alot heavier than the aluminum wheels I had on here I lost some top end. It feels like enough power with just me on it but with 3 guys on there you could really feel the drag

I just figured you could never have too much torque. And since I was at it might as well get more. Ill give CPP a call tomorrow they are only about an hour from me thats where I was going to get the the parts. Thanks for the replies
dubs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I like the ramps lower because it gets high rpm when you gas it and drops more when you don't. Ask CPP, it might work better for you with that kind of loading unless they have reason it will not. I ground mine because it would bog pulling a 150hp boat out of a lake (go figure, lol, and stock motor) and it would rev after that. I only did the top of the ramp so it only worked up to 8mph or something. You could also ask them if they have a kevlar belt for it, I got one from them for mine it is slightly wider and so it acts a little like a short belt but you don't lose top speed. It helps at lower speeds somewhat like a cut secondary with a lower gear. You will want it at 3500-4K when WOT to get what power you have, and get it up there asap when you take off. If you can get it set up better it will make a difference. I'm not up on all the little mods for a ezgo clutches not worked on one in a while. You can get a better spring for the primary if you don't have it already.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO