lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
granprix
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Has anyone been sucessful with the HEI conversion?

I bought all the stuff for the switch to HEI, and all I see on here is problems with everybody that tries to do it, has anybody has any good things happen, if so let us know. One thing I'm wondering is if the starter/generator voltage output is too high for the HEI. Mine runs a steady 15.7 - 15.9, the same with 2 different starters and 2 different volt regs. The other thing could be that the timing is severely changed by the ignitor making detonation.
My next course of action....to be determined?????
granprix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Has anyone been sucessful with the HEI conversion?

I did not have much luck. I just removed mine today, and I really think in my situation the timing is off. It seemed as if it was firing before TDC causing it to run hot, miss and knock. I am not abandoning the idea yet, just don't feel like taking the time just yet to adjust the timing and try it. Maybe another day. Good luck.
2 STROKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Morgan44
Gone Wild

I blew a head gasket. I just got finished putting it all back together. Now the question, try it with the hei, or put the original back on?
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
granprix
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I wish I could answer that. Not very promising so far......
granprix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
cdeck714
Not Yet Wild

I put it on mine in the spring and haven't had any problems with it.
cdeck714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Many people have made this conversion and done it successfully but it should (IMO) be only done to replace a failed ignitor. If it is done to improve performance then I think that it will inevitably be a disappointment. In addition to replacing the ignitor with the HEI module a lot of folk also like to fit a new coil and the so called "hi energy" coil can be sourced on ebay. (As a slight aside if you change the coil you should not fit one with an internal ballast resistor).

In general the 2 stroke EZGO does suffer from grounding issues and it is always worth cleaning the main ground point and checking the strap between that point and the engine block. The HEI unit itself generates a lot of heat so the unit needs to be securely bolted to the cart frame (which should be ground to bare metal to ensure heat transfer and grounding) some heat sink compound would also be good. The 2 stroke Robin engine is very tolerant with regard to timing with the factory setting being 20 degrees BTDC. I have not been able to establish if the original ignitor advances the timing at increased rpm but as the technology is 35 years old I suspect not. If on the other hand the HEI module does that might be an issue reported as the cart bogging down at higher speed. As stated by others sometimes the HEI triggers on the leading edge of the pulse and sometimes the negative so you may need to reverse the blue and red wires from the pulsar.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Morgan44
Gone Wild

I'm taking the HEI off today, and putting the stock back on. Something just isn't right. Hopefully everything will go back to normal.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
2 STROKING
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Many people have made this conversion and done it successfully but it should (IMO) be only done to replace a failed ignitor. If it is done to improve performance then I think that it will inevitably be a disappointment. In addition to replacing the ignitor with the HEI module a lot of folk also like to fit a new coil and the so called "hi energy" coil can be sourced on ebay. (As a slight aside if you change the coil you should not fit one with an internal ballast resistor).

In general the 2 stroke EZGO does suffer from grounding issues and it is always worth cleaning the main ground point and checking the strap between that point and the engine block. The HEI unit itself generates a lot of heat so the unit needs to be securely bolted to the cart frame (which should be ground to bare metal to ensure heat transfer and grounding) some heat sink compound would also be good. The 2 stroke Robin engine is very tolerant with regard to timing with the factory setting being 20 degrees BTDC. I have not been able to establish if the original ignitor advances the timing at increased rpm but as the technology is 35 years old I suspect not. If on the other hand the HEI module does that might be an issue reported as the cart bogging down at higher speed. As stated by others sometimes the HEI triggers on the leading edge of the pulse and sometimes the negative so you may need to reverse the blue and red wires from the pulsar.

Dave
Dave, I agree with you 100%. I installed new ground strap to engine, made sure to use the heatsink compound, grounded the HEI, reversed leads, ect ect. In the end my diagnosis was the timing was firing to soon with the HEI, which was also causing a huge amount of heat in the head and exhaust. Plus as soon as you tried to run full throttle it would start bogging down. I did not feel that it was worth adjusting the timing at this time to try and resolve the issue. I was only putting it on my cart since I was doing a complete over haul and thought I would keep my removed parts for my other cart. However I went back with the stock ignitor and everything was fine.
2 STROKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Morgan44
Gone Wild

I just finished the switch back to stock. Everything as back to normal so far.

Tags
3pg hei
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO