lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Jeff07
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default what did I do wrong???

I have a 350 cc robin. I wasn't satisfied with 150 psi in each cyl so I took the head off to inspect (and I was bored that day). The exhaust valves were a little beat up but I put it all back together anyways. I had the same compression after I was finished so I figured everything was Ok. My kid drove the cart today and all hell broke loose! Motor oil has covered the entire drivers side of the engine, when i started the motor it struggled to turn over and I heard engine knock! I re-checked the compression, 150. Did a leak down test and have an exhaust leak in one and intake leak on the other, funny thing is theknock is gone. The air box is dry and the breather tube is still connected at each end.
I'll be pulling the motor to at least clean it up, but I need you guys to tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jeff07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Jeff07
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: what did I do wrong???

Come on guys, no response??? I've read many different threads and I know there are some very knowledgeable folks here.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Did you re-use the head gasket? How's the oil level?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the Valve-timing is off and it crashed the valves.That would give you a knock,and cause your valve-leaks.Did you setup the valvetrain properly when you reassembled the motor?I've seen guys remove heads,do whatever they were in there for,and reinstall the heads,but not readjust the valves,and they crashed or did other damage every time.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Jeff07
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Did you re-use the head gasket? How's the oil level?
I did re-use the head gasket and changed the oil with 1 1/2 qts full synthetic.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Jeff07
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: what did I do wrong???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Sounds like the Valve-timing is off and it crashed the valves.That would give you a knock,and cause your valve-leaks.Did you setup the valvetrain properly when you reassembled the motor?I've seen guys remove heads,do whatever they were in there for,and reinstall the heads,but not readjust the valves,and they crashed or did other damage every time.Hope this helps.
So after I put the head back together, the only way I know to find TDC without removing the drive clutch is to put a pencil in the spark plug hole and look to see when the piston is at the top of the cylinder. Then I put the camshaft gear on with the TDC hole lined up with the notch on the backing plate. Is there a better way??? I set the rockers at. 005. Could I have set everything on the wrong stroke?
Thanks for the help!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff07 View Post
Could I have set everything on the wrong stroke?
Not if your son drove the cart.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO